Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 2 decades ago

german wedding traditions / pre wedding games?

My fiancee is german and we would like to tie some german wedding traditions into the ceremony, but we don't know any. can you help? Also, if you know any bridal shower games or bachelorette party games, so I know that they won't suck!

• 2 decades ago
    Favorite Answer

As with so many things German, it depends on where in Germany your fiancee is from. Polterabend is something that a lot of people do- it's like the wedding party meal, except that you break lots of dishes. "Sherben bringt Glu"ck" (Shards bring luck) is an expression. Often the guests bring some hopefully hideous thing to break and/or a little gift. Bride & Groom have to clean up the mess afterwards! It's important not to break anything made out of glass- that's unlucky- you need to break ceramic/porcelin. Especially don't bring a mirror!

Other customs- well it used to be (before the 1900's) that people didn't necessarily marry in white- they wore a tracht or costume of the area.

At least at the weddings I've been at, it's more customary to have people do games, even go-to-know-you games at teh wedding- the objective is for everyone to have a good time- Weddings are going to take a few days, so maybe its more important to get to know people more than at the usual wedding and reception thing in the States.

Music is a must and of a variety that your guests all can enjoy it.

Viel Glu"ck und alles Gute, Iht zwei!

• 2 decades ago

The only thing I've heard of is Polterabend. (Google it). Apprarently there's a party at someone's house for the engaged couple and all their friends come and smash pottery on their doorsill. Someone (the groom-to-be?) has to clean it up. I'd really google the phrase for more details.