promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Soft sleeper trains in china - are they OK?

What are they like? Do they have western toilets / air conditioning etc?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • ME
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

i usually take hard sleeper...they're not bad at all...you have to get used to sharing with locals...and they only have squatting toilets (which i've learned to love after traveling. they're much cleaner b/c you dont have to touch a single thing)...but the beds aren't bad at all. i've taken soft sleeper once...the toilets on that particular train for the soft sleepers were western...but you should check on the particular route you will be traveling. if i remember correctly it was also air conditioned. the good thing about a soft sleeper is that you have an actual door on your compartment that has 4 beds instead of 6 that are in hardsleepers. where are you traveling to? i took soft sleeper between beijing and shanghai. everywhere else in china i took hardsleeper.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I travelled from Beijing to Xi'an on a soft sleeper and it was fine...not what you'd consider 5 stars but quite comfortable...you share the compartment with 3 other people...western toilets..well sorta...just drops onto the tracks below you..I remember it being fairly warm on the train but can't seem to recall if it was air conditioned or not..it was an overnight trip.

• 1 decade ago

There are usually 4 bunks per room for soft sleepers. More bunks for hard sleepers.

The soft sleeper room has a door you can lock. If you are traveling in 4-in-a-group or less, then you are better off getting soft sleepers tickets.

It is normally safer in the soft sleeper cars. But never leave your valuables in the bed while you go to the toilet, canteen or for a smoke.

The bed... same size as the hard sleeper but defintely softer, obviously.

If you are young and agile, then ask for the upper bunk. It is slightly cheaper than the lower bunks (yes, they are priced differently). I'd prefer the upper bunk because there is a storage compartment for your luggage.

• 1 decade ago

Hi-

Expect lots of noise- people spitting,smoking cigarettes and no A/C - therefore: mosquitoes on many trains in China outside of the major cities... regardless of what class you travel.

Through the aisles will be stinking cooked chickens and fruit for sale with tea-

Are you really up for this- I'd go to Japan instead -

Source(s): too many visits to china for work !
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Don't believe the term 'soft-sleeper' because all Chinese matrasses feel like, or they just are, they're made of wood. After a few days you will get used to it though:)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.