Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesFord · 1 decade ago

1967 Ford F150, Will I need to swap rear end if I go from straight 6 to V-8 with 4 speed trans?

I want to go from straight 6 to V-8 with a 4 speed trans (Granny), will the current rear end need to be swapped out due to the power difference.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If memory serves that truck should have a 300 ci thats the big 6. -9 inch rears are bullet proof.do it

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

That's a 9" rear gear in there and they are one strong unit.

While the basic design is a bit less efficient than others

(Hotchkiss vs Salisbury) you won't have any reliabilty

problems assuming its greased. Also, gear ratio changes

are fairly cheap and easily accomplished by any shade-

tree mechanic with common hand tools and there are

parts galore for that rear. As most all final drive trans

ratios of that era were 1:1, you shouldn't need to change

your speedo driven gear but if you do, that's easy and cheap

as well.

• 1 decade ago

Just change the motor and tranny and go with the rear end that is there. I have done this to a bunch of trucks and have never encountered a problem with too much horse power from switching from a six cylinder to a V-8. With a granny low I don't think you are building a race truck. Let us know how it turns out.

• 1 decade ago

It depends on what number of horsepower you are making and how you intend on driving it. If I am not mistaken that is a ford 9 inch rear end in that vehicle. Dependable up to 500+ horsepower. You may want to rebuild the rear end for reliability purposes because of the horsepower and torque difference between the 6 and 8 cylinder engines.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

wouldnt matter...but the 6 cyl. rear end is probally gonna be geared lower than a v-8 would . not gonna hurt it ... cept maybe ya gas mileage..only thing that should be different are the gears on the inside an u can swap those if ya not happy with the 6 cyl rear end.. but ya probally gonna have ta beef up the front end for the engine swap an check ya hood clearance

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The old adage is don't fix it till it is broke. If you change the tranny you will need to find out gear ratio in rr end and what the trannys final drive is along with tire size to figure out what speedo gear you need to know how fast you are going so the speed odometer is correct

Source(s): GM emp 31 yrs and a backyard mech with friends who are the same
  • 1 decade ago

yes you will .the gear ratio will be different resulting in less direct drive to rear tires. you would need to change gear ratio .

in other word's i don't know.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.