deanne1978_2004 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

My dogs temp is back up now from 99.1-99.5 to now 100.7 does that mean she will not have pups soon?

My Dog MAY be pregnant...earlier today her temp was 99.1 to 99.5 and now this evening when I took it it was back to 100.7...does this mean she will not have the pups soon..or could this be something that goes along with a false pregnancy?? I know I should go ahead and take her to the vet to know for sure,...but I would just like some opinions once again. Thanks for the help! :-)

Favorite Answer

Did the vet say she was bred, after the mating? If you did not have that checked (you should have, if you care for your dog) is she 'showing'? Is she nesting? Is she panting? has she stopped eating much? Is she moving about a lot? If yes to most or all of the last, I'd guess she is getting ready to have puppies.

I would suggest phoning the vet and asking if the increased temperature indicates that she might be having a false pregnancy, and arrange for her appointment while you make the call.

The temp normally goes back up right before she has the pups. In a false pregnancy, you wouldn't see a temperature drop. If you press gently on her stomach, you should be able to feel some little heads in there if she's close to 64 days. I'd say if she looks and acts pregnant, you'll know pretty soon. A trip to the vet wouldn't hurt either way. He can give you advice on whelping and eclampsia and anything else you might need to know!

Source(s): 28 years exp.
  • I found when my female was about to give birth that her temperature went up and down several times. Remember her temp can change in different situations, eg. airconditioned house can bring temp down and being out side in the sun can bring it up. Take her temp regularily, once every hour. Watch for her wanting to go outside in almost a panic. Keep close eye on her if she does this, this is when her plug will expel and the puppies will follow minutes later. Sometimes the female will start to shake as if she is cold or scared. This is a sign she is in labour. YOu must stay with her until she has delivered her pups, there may be complications and she might need your help.

Source(s): Breeder of Border Collies/ Professional Pet Groomer and dog trainer

When was she bred? Gestation is 63-65 days. ( How long they are pregnant) If it has been that long then take her to the vet- she could be having complications. A false pregnancy usually starts sooner after their heat cycle and their temperature doesn't drop like when they are in real labor.

I guess when her belly gets fat & then you get pups you'll know for sure... otherwise take her to a vet & find out

unless you can get her to pee on a preg test in a few weeks... lol