Why is the British national anthem played at England matches, rather than the English national anthem.?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

England is a part of Great Britain.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

God Save The Queen (or more correctly God Save The King as it was written) is the BRITISH national anthem. And England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are all part of Britain. Flower of Scotland etc are NOT official anthems.

• 1 decade ago

There are no specific English, Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish national anthems. Many English assume God Save The Queen is specifically English and it might as well be as far as I'm concerned (Scot) but they're wrong.

It used to be and it should be, but it isn't, the English national anthem. It's the British national anthem including the verse about killing Scots, thank you very much.

• 1 decade ago

They play the english national anthem cause its England playing. The same is done for Wales and Scotland. Britian consist on three countries England,Scotland and Wales and they all have there own national anthem

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Is the British National anthem different to the English one? I didn't think it was?

• 1 decade ago

There isn't an English national anthem

• 3 years ago

God keep the Queen, is the nationwide anthem of the united kingdom , no longer only tremendous Britain ie. that is the nationwide anthem of N.eire besides. that's likewise the Royal anthem utilized in many Commonwealth international locations inclusive of Australia and Canada. there is no reliable anthem of england. in my opinion i appreciate the music Jerusalem, yet would desire, if there is going to be an anthem for England, for it to be Land of wish and Glory, which i trust is more desirable ideal and sounds more desirable like an anthem.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

"God Save The Queen" is the ENGLISH national anthem, as such it was adopted as the anthem for the rest of Britain, including the rest of the empire. Whilst most of the British Commonwealth have abandoned it, it is still officially the royal anthem of some, such as Australia, New Zealand and Canada, which all do have seperate National Anthems. The same applies for the Home countries - "God Save The Queen" is the royal anthem of Scotland, Wales and Northern Island, but they stopped playing it for these nations in the 1970's, when Scottish nationalists started booing and turning their backs during it's playing at Rugby and Football matches.

National Anthems of some nations which still have royal anthem of "God Save The Queen" are:

England: "God Save The Queen"

Scotland: "Flower of Scotland"

Wales: "Land of My Fathers"

Nth Ireland: "God Save The Queen" & "A Londonderry Air"

New Zealand: "God Save The Queen" & "God Defend New Zealand"

Australia: "Advance Australia Fair" & "God Save The Queen"

Canada: "O Canada" & "God Save The Queen"

• 1 decade ago

because it is the national anthem of the country. never heard of the england national anthem.

• 1 decade ago

England, Ireland and Scotland compose Great Britain.

• Michael6 years agoReport

Correction... England Scotland and Wales make up Great Britain. Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland last time I looked at my passport.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.