promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anna asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 decade ago

Do chickens have nipples?

Well they do have breasts, but they aren't mammals. Only mammals have mammary glands, after all. I'm in a bet with my manager at work. so... do they have nipples?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No, only mammals (with the exception of monotremes) have nipples. Chicken "breasts" are their huge pectoral muscles.

I hope you're on the winning side :-)

Source(s): I'm a zoologist.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I am a biology major with a teaching degree. Nipples are a mammal thing. Which Chickens are not mammals. only need for nipples is to give milk, besides being strickly mammal thing, chicks get most of there nurishment from their mother via what she regurgitates for them of her meals.

Any bumbs that you might find on a chicken are something else. Parasites, Feather growth, skin abnormalities of one kind or another but definetly not a functional nipple.

The use of the word breast is only an anatomy thing for describing the general region of the bird that is similar to a human.

Duane

• 1 decade ago

NO. Chickens aren't mammals, thus they do not lactate, thus no nipples.

We call them chicken "breasts", but they do not serve the same function as mammalian breasts.

• 1 decade ago

Only members of Class Mammalia have nipples. Birds belong to Class Aves, so they do not have nipples.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No, they don't breast feed. Look at a roaster in the store do you see nipples? How about your last turkey?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No. The breast is what's considered the "meaty" part of the bird. It's more figuratively than matter of fact.

• 1 decade ago

No they don't. They do not produce milk for their young. Breast is a general term for chest, that humans apply more to women.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

LMAO!!! I hope not, I like the breast best... but ewwwww to chicken nipples! Chicken NIBBLES yeah baby (crumbed mmmmmm)!!!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the real question is..."do chickens have nuggets?"

But do they have nipples?..I never seen a chicken with nipples.Unless the nipples are hiding under the feathers....

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No. Iwork on achicken farm with 750,000 of them. Only mammels have them to nurse there young.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.