Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 1 decade ago

phisics problem:a drop with primary radius r0 falls from height and gets moisture from air dm/dt=ks?

drop gets moisture according to its surface dm/ds=ks

s is surface of drop.

find the acceleration of drop ?

find radiuse of drop according to time?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • hfshaw
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

In this following, I'll assume that the drop maintains a spherical shape. Otherwise, the math will get horrendous, and one probably can't get an analytical solution.

The surface area of a sphere is given by:

S = 4*pi*r^2

The mass of a sphere of density D is simply the volume times the density. The volume of a sphere with radius r is given by:

V = 4/3 * pi * r^3,

so the mass is given by:

M = 4/3 * pi * r^3 * D.

We know that the drop gains mass according to:

dM/dt = k*S = k*4*pi*r^2

Substitute the expression for the mass as a function of radius into this differential equation:

4/3*pi*D*d(r^3)/dt = k*4*pi*r^2

Simplifying, we get:

d(r^3)/dt = 3*k*r^2/D

let u = r^3

then

du/dt = 3*k*u^(2/3)/D

u^(-2/3) du = 3*k/D dt

Integrate this to obtain

3(u^1/3 -u0^1/3) = 3*k*(t-t0)/D

where u0 and t0 are the constants of integration, and in this problem, we can let t0 = 0.

Substituting back for u and simplifying:

r - r0 = k*t/D

r(t) = k*t/D + r0

This gives the radius as a function of time, which is the desired result.

In the absence of friction and neglecting the change in gravitational acceleration as a function of height, the drop would have a constant acceleration of g (9.807 m/s^2). If we include air friction (and continue to assume a spherical raindrop) then the net acceleration is:

a = g - 0.5 * C * D * A * v^2/M

where C is the drag coefficient (= 1/2 for a sphere),

A is the cross sectional area

M is the mass

v is the velocity

D is the density

Substituting expressions for the mass and area in terms of the radius, we get:

a = g - (0.5 * C * D * pi * r^2 * v^2)/(4/3 * pi * r^3 * D)

a = g - 3/8 * C * v^2/r

if C = 0.5 (for a sphere)

a(t) = dv(t)/dt = g - (3*v(t)^2)/(16*r(t))

From here, one would need to substitute the expression derived previously for r as a function of t, solve the differential equation to find v(t), then take the derivative of v(t) with respect to t to get a(t) in terms of t. This is straightforward, but involves some tedious algebra that I'm not inclined to do at the moment!

• alia
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Tough to reply. To splatter the ant, you have got to generate sufficient drive. The drive of influence is involving the mass and pace of the item. The quantity of drive required to splatter an ant absolutely is not all that a lot. However, the MASS of the ant is so small that you simply could must pass a loooooong means as much as generate sufficient pace to create that drive. If you are watching for an certain quantity, I have no idea. I do not understand how many Newtons of drive it takes to splatter an ant and I'm no longer approximately to scan it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.