Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is Ukraine a tough soccer team? Why?

2 decades ago
    Favorite Answer

Ok, I believe Ukraine is a fairly tough soccer team for various reasons. I do not think, however, they really are a threat to any of the "favorites" if that's how you define tough. However, I think they are tough in the sense that they may very well or easily be able to qualify out of their group along with Spain and there's an outside shot they may be able to upset France (assuming they finish number 2 and France finishes first in the group.)

First of all, they have an excellent striker in Shevchenko...duhhh...and despite questions over his injury, he is arguably top 5 in terms of ability at forward.

But Ukraine also has a good team and great striking ability in the other Andriy's (Voronin and Vorobey).

Also, during the Preliminaries, they were pitted with Turkey, Denmark, and Greece, which are themselves top teams. Ukraine still managed to come out on top and concede only 7 goals in 12 matches. This is particularly commendable considering they are more of an attacking team.

One could point out the fact that the FIFA ranking pits them at 45, but one could also point out that the US is not number 5 in the world really and that would justify throwing these rankings out. The reason being is that so much of these rankings are based on goals scored/differential, where in the Concacaf it's easier to pile up big goal leads, whereas in the European Zone games are much more closely contested due to better defensive play. So that's why Ukraine isn't ranked that high.

Lastly Ukraine are tough considering their performance in recent friendlies. They were able to hold the del Piero, Luca Toni, and Gilardino led Italians to a 0 - 0 draw. If that's not convincing, they also crushed Costa Rica. I believe this earns them respect (note they also beat Libya), but they have to be more consistent (i.e. see Azerbaijan friendly) and they could have a good run. With regards to their questionable defense...they have held their last 4 opponents to 0 goals, so that ought to serve them with confidence as well.

So to wrap up. I think Ukraine is tough and will be more formidable than anticipated. I think they would have a better time against Spain than France though and should take that into account and try to really draw against Spain, so their virtual victories could push them ahead of Spain and possibly result in them facing a second place opponent from G, but if I had to claim something about them, I'd bet they'd get to the second round and not likely further unless they draw a weak team from G.

I hope I answered your question.

Source(s): Yahoo.com

Try those Diablos Devils Storm Flame Cosmos Vipers FC (town/the town) At the children's age do not ask them to call it. They will arise with a few wierd identify after a caricature or film. If you do wish thier opinion, gift themwith your favourite 2 or 3 and allow them to deliver an opinion on the ones staff names. I did that they usually preferred the identify. Noone else within the our field makes use of the identify... Diablos, but. Good success.

• 2 decades ago

It's good coz u have the fearful ShevSHenkO

• 2 decades ago

yes

2 decades ago

Not really, but they are going to play well.

• 2 decades ago

hellz yeah ukraine is going to play well so cuz they got good peAPLE ON the team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!my peaplez!!!!!!!!!!!

Source(s): meeeeeeeeeeee
  • 2 decades ago

i only know that they have a great striker... that's all