answer to describe your experience with manufacturing such as Six Sigma, TPS, Continuous Improvement?

Favorite Answer

I've tried them all, but unless your company is committed to following through, which mine isn't, the culture reverts back to the same ole same ole. I do know of companies that have had a good deal of success with Six Sigma and CI.

I worked for a company that went through the Continuous Improvement phase. They began over two years ago and they spent millions to move machines and entire product lines. From what I have seen, it does not work well (or with limited success) in a job shop environment.

In situations where all your products remain fairly constant , it works very well.

Working as a temp and admin employee at several companies, my experience is that endemically dysfunctional workplaces will try to pick up these Quality Improvement trends as bandaids that will "fix" fundamental problems with management-employee communication, undercompensation and overwork, and out and out abuse.

I'm not saying that it's not possible, but as with any sort of "improvement" program (self or otherwise), you kind of have to *want* to change. And change is always harder than these systems tend to promote.

it's total BS and a waste of time