What are some advantages and disadvantages to taking a semester off college?

I'm in the process of transferring. I was considering taking off a semester so I can figure out exactly what I want to do. Any comments/suggestions regarding this? Thanks :)
Update: I would be working during my time off (to save up and help pay for the rest of college) and visiting colleges that I've been thinking about transferring to. I've already had two years at one university, but I'm realizing that the path I'm on is not really the path I want to stay on. Just trying to... show more I would be working during my time off (to save up and help pay for the rest of college) and visiting colleges that I've been thinking about transferring to. I've already had two years at one university, but I'm realizing that the path I'm on is not really the path I want to stay on. Just trying to keep my options open and discover what else is out there. I would try to work in a field that interests me in order to get a feel for it and see if it would be something I would want to do later on in life.
5 answers