? asked in Food & DrinkNon-Alcoholic Drinks · 1 decade ago

Why do donut shops have better coffee than coffee shops?

You would think that a coffee shop would have better coffee, but not in the US and Canada, as far as I can see. Please explain what sociological and marketing forces couple with the complex asthetic appreciations of coffee and its drinking to make this so.

Favorite Answer

Isn't that more of a personal opinion? I'm sure there are people that think otherwise, that coffee shop coffee is better.

However, mayber there's something in them donuts to make coffee taste so good to you....

In the good old days (generally the 20th Century, especially before 1988), a "coffee shop" was a generic diner that served Folger's and other abominations of "coffee". (I wouldn't say that donut shops have better coffee, as they also serve horrid shyt, just with donuts). Nowadays, some places are "cool" and their coffee shops serve real coffee, from a bean harvested in a third-world country. The REALLY cool places use "organic" beans. But most of the US, coffee shops still suck, and donut shops too. What was your question?

• ilse72

I don't drink coffee but maybe it is the donuts that make it seem like the coffee is better? Even if you don't eat the donuts, the smell of them has to just set those taste buds tingling! If the taste buds are tingling, wouldn't the coffee automatically taste better?

Source(s): *

I think another person on here hit it right on the head. You think of coffee- you go to Starf*cks- they they have that market and don't have to make it any better. Donut shop? I just think of donuts.

But really, donut shops are not the best. They don't have the variety.

• Den

A donut shop is a smell magnet,you smell it as you pass it.Once inside you really smell it,throw in some really good coffee and BLAM!

Your brains blow up and everything is great!

Coffee and donuts are very soothing in sensible amounts.There may not be any better thing on Earth than a good glazed donut and good coffee.

Coming from a girl whose family owns a bakery, I can tell you our coffee is basically the same as any coffee you would make at home. I'm thinking it might be the price, because we charge 1.10 for coffee in a bigger cup than you would pay 4 bucks for at Starbucks.

It's because coffee shops prefer to use a darker roast than donut shops. Some people find a darker roast more appealing. I don't, I think it just tastes bad.

Because you feel better eating coffee AND a donut than just coffee, don't you?

i guess America is good at things they are not supposed to do like sell coffee at a donut shop. good question

Coffee will taste sooo much better with doughnuts than with a greasy plate of ham and eggs.