Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

how long have you gone without sleep?

I once stayed up for 30 some hours after a flight from NY to KL because i was playing mario the whole time and when i arrived i was visiting relatives. i ended up sleeping for 11 hrs after getting to the hotel!

• Favorite Answer

nearly 48 hours..i was on the brink of collapsing by the time i finally got to sleep..trust me mate, u don't want to go 2 days without sleep..it can drive u insane..i couldn't sleep that time coz the Zoloft i was taking messed with my sleeping cycle..horrible..these are some stuff i got from wikipedia on sleep deprivation that i thought was really interesting:

As a cause of death

There are no documented cases of a healthy human dying from total sleep deprivation (excluding accidents), aside from those suffering from Fatal Familial Insomnia. In carefully monitored experiments, several normal research subjects stayed awake for 10 days. While they all experienced cognitive deficits in memory, concentration, etc, none of them experienced serious medical, neurological, physiological or psychiatric problems. Total sleep deprivation in rats leads to death in around 28 days. Death occurs later if only REM sleep is eliminated. In humans, extended sleep deprivation causes microsleep sessions to develop. A person who has fatal familial insomnia may die after several months with no sleep at all; people without this condition may experience dementia or develop permanent personality changes within the first few weeks.

Effects on the brain

A 2000 study by the UCSD School of Medicine and the Veterans Affairs Healthcare System in San Diego, used functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) technology to monitor activity in the brains of sleep-deprived subjects performing simple verbal learning tasks. The study showed that regions of the brain’s prefrontal cortex (PFC) displayed more activity in sleepier subjects. Depending on the task at hand, in some cases the brain attempts to compensate for the adverse effects caused by lack of sleep. The temporal lobe, which is a brain region involved in language processing, was activated during verbal learning in rested subjects but not in sleep deprived subjects. The parietal lobes, not activated in rested subjects during the verbal exercise, was more active when the subjects were deprived of sleep. Although memory performance was less efficient with sleep deprivation, greater activity in the parietal region was associated with better memory.

As a treatment for depression

Recent studies show sleep deprivation has some potential in the treatment of depression. 60% of patients, when sleep-deprived, show immediate recovery, with most relapsing the following night. The incidence of relapse can be decreased by combining sleep deprivation with medication. Incidentally, many tricyclic antidepressants happen to suppress REM sleep, providing additional evidence for a link between mood and sleep

• Nico

About 21 hours because I worked a double shift after being asked to come in 3 hours earlier than I was supposed to.

• mutt

24 hours

Like 36 hours. The company was putting in new carpet overnight (less customers). We had to disassemble the entire dept. and then put everything back after the new carpet was down.

• not sure exactly how long good estamated guess probably about 30 hours

Close to 40h I think but I was a mess.

i have went for three days without sleep..long story of why

like two days mostly when i go out at night and only stumble in at dawn, i can never fall asleep when its light out, cursed!!!

About three hours... lol, I slept in this morning.

November 1993

I'm not joking.