1. Learning to use a computer would greatly (facilitate) his work as a writer, but he stubbornly refused to do so.
（A）switch （B）simplify （C）dedicate （D）trim
2. Norman bad a (pretentious) habit of always using the biggest words he possibly could, but he often ended up using them in the wrong way.
（A）sluggish （B）deceptive （C）prickly （D）pompous
3. Because tuberculosis is so (infectious), many schools require students to be Vaccinated against the disease before they are allowed to register for classes.
（A）contagious （B）cordial （C）infamous （D）foreign
4. After undergoing chemotherapy, her hair was so (sparse) that she bad to wear a wig.
（A）desperate （B）outstanding （C）meager （D）absurd
5. My co-worker Herman is a complete pessimist—he predicts (catastrophe) for every new project.
（A）calamity （B）mutation （C）menace （D）longitude