Anonymous
Anonymous asked in 社會與文化語言 · 2 decades ago

幫我分析句構AND 文法...有9句

以下有9個問題.."*"後面是代表我的疑問.

以下句子是從THE DOLL'S HOUSE出來的.

因為我為近在分析句構..所以請各為英文高手幫解我的"笨"問題..@@

1.She is thrilled that her husband.

*why add "that"?can i delete "that"?

2.He wants to give her something that they could remember him by.

*what does "remember by" mean?

3. Despite her initial marriage to him solely foe money.

*Although I understand every word, but I don't know this whole sentence's meaning.

4.while the 2 men speak, the 2 women catch up on years of absence.

-*what does this sentence mean?

5.the year in (which they lived in Italy was not fund by her father, but rather through Nora's own business negotiations.)

*THE YEAR "IN"的IN是從( )中哪個單字後面搬過去的?因為我記得要在( )中的第一個v後面的介詞搬過去..so.."which they lived in"的in應該要被搬過去..但是卻還在.還是我記錯了呢?!@@

6.He threatens to tell Torvald everything, about the loan, and even worse---about the d bond Nora's signed.

*我總覺得這句的文法應該要這樣寫才對.是ㄇ?

He threatens to tell Torvald everything about the loan and even worse---about the d bond "WHICH" Nora's signed.

7.He catches Nora in a lie.

*what does this mean?

8.Marry arrives to help her fix the dress for a dance, which Nora is to dance at the party.

*which Nora is to dance at the party.這句的"IS TO DANCE" 我不懂..(在GRAMMER上).

9.he tries to clam her, by telling her that he would do anything for her.

*為何用", BY TELLING"?而不用"AND TELL"?

Rating
  • 2 decades ago
    Favorite Answer

1. She is thrilled that her husband.

*why add "that"?can i delete "that"?

My interpretation: The sentence is wrong with or without "that." Grammatically speaking, it should be 'She is thrilled by her husband.' or 'She has thrilled her husband.' It can only be grammatical if you have omitted a few words after 'husband.' In that case, "that" can be deleted.

2. He wants to give her something that they could remember him by.

*what does "remember by" mean?

My interpretation: This sentence is not a good one. Since there is no other context for me to judge its real meaning, I can only try to correct it based on my interpretation. It's better to rewrite it as 'He wants to give her something that she can remember him by.' or 'He wants to give her something by which she can remember him.' "Remember by" means 'by (looking at) the thing he gives her, she can recall the very person who gives her that souvenir.'

My interpretation: This is not a grammatical sentence, it is only a subordinate clause with a typing error. It should be "Despite her initial marriage to him solely for money, she/they..."

4. While the 2 men speak, the 2 women catch up on years of absence.

*what does this sentence mean?

My interpretation: Without other context, again it is rather difficult to interpret its real meaning. I guess it probably means that "the two men talk for such a long time, so the two women have enough time to learn (exchange the information) what they had missed because of their long absence."

5. The year in (which they lived in Italy was not fund by her father, but rather through Nora's own business negotiations.)

My interpretation: The original sentence should be "The year that/when/in which they lived in Italy was..." or "The time they lived in Italy was..." 'In which' is a relative pronoun that means the same as 'that/when/the time'. So this 'in' is not a preposition after the verb 'lived' and nothing has been moved in this sentence!

6. He threatens to tell Torvald everything, about the loan, and even worse---about the d bond Nora's signed.

我總覺得這句的文法應該要這樣寫才對: He threatens to tell Torvald everything about the loan and even worse---about the d bond 'which' Nora's signed.

Comment: Both sentences are correct. The relative pronoun that functions as object of a transitive verb (i.e., 'signed') can be deleted in a sentence. The original sentence dropped the relative pronoun 'that' or 'which'.

7. He catches Nora in a lie.

My interpretation: This sentence means that 'while Nora is telling something untrue, he finds out that she is lying right on the spot.'

8. Mary arrives to help her fix the dress for a dance, which Nora is to dance at the party.

My interpretation: "Mary comes to help Nora fix the dress she will wear for performing a dance at the party." In "which Nora is to dance," 'which' refers to 'the dance Nora is scheduled to present' and 'is to dance' means that 'Nora is going to perform that very dance' at the party (by wearing the dress Mary helps to fix).

9. He tries to calm her, by telling her that he would do anything for her.

*為何用", BY TELLING"?而不用"AND TELL"?

My interpretation: If we say "he tries to calm her and tell her that he would do anything for her," it means that he tries to do two different things either sequentially or simutaneously. That is, he may try to calm her first and then tell her something later; or he tries to do both things at the same time. In either case, 'to calm her' and 'and tell her' can be two irrelevant matters. In the original sentence, "by telling her that he would do anything for her" is the means (手段) and "he tries to calm her" is the aim/purpose (目的). So we can rewrite the sentence as "By telling her that he would do anything for her, he tries to calm her." No such movement is allowed in "he tries to calm her and tell her that he would do anything for her." Both sentences are correct, but they differ slightly in their meanings.

Source(s): My English competence and a few guesses