Anonymous
Anonymous asked in 社會與文化語言 · 2 decades ago

pigeonhole or stereotype

the word choice:pigeonhole/stereotype

How to use these two words properly?

Does the following statement sound ok ?

I used to pigeonhole those who studied abroad for a period of time could definitely speak fluent English.But later I've learned that it was not ture.

It seems that the definition of the word pigeonhole is controversial.I amt not sure which one is correct but

文心雕龍's explanation is close to my understanding.

Rating
  • ?
    2 decades ago
    Favorite Answer

I disagree with JJ~~

你在國外讀書吧~這問題應該是外國學校出的~~

pigeonhole has another definition:

put in broad category: to categorize somebody or something without a great deal of thought

stereotype :

reduce to oversimplified categories: to categorize individuals or groups according to an oversimplified standardized image or idea

So these 2 words are similar and their meanings can be overlapping, but perhaps different in usage.

Therefore for the sentence you mentioned in ur question...I prefer using pigeonhole.

...because you didn't give much thought about them, so you could only "pigeonhole" those who studied abroad.

2005-03-19 10:03:04 補充:

英文問題盡量不要交付投票

如果發問的人都無法選出最佳答案

你認為投票的人都懂英文

就選的出來???

Source(s): Encarta Dictionary
    2 decades ago

我也覺得有些問題用交付投票的方式似乎不大好.下次我會試著使用發問者自選方式.

2 decades ago

pigeonhole

• JJ
    2 decades ago

These two words are totally different.

Pigeonhole means a small box with opening where documents or small objects could be placed in. It's like each little pigeon has a hole to got in, so do your letters and documents.

Stereotype means you type cast someone. For instance a lot of Americans stereotype the Australians in the shape of the Crocadial Dundee, where in fact, most Australians are not like him. Another example will be people's idea towards gay as sisy, into body building etc.

So for your sentence, using the word stereotype is correct.