Don D asked in Science & MathematicsWeather · 1 decade ago

Could a hurricane ever hit Oregon?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Hurricanes striking the Pacific Coast are a rarity, but circumstances combined to create a near hurricane like storm in October 1962 that hit northern California, Oregon and Washington. This storm is often referred to as Hurricane Freida. Although this storm hit during the Pacific hurricane season , it was not a true hurricane (or typhoon as tropical hurricane's in the West Pacific are called). Effects included more than 50 deaths, winds as high as 119 mph in Portland, and a peak recorded gust of an almost unbelievable 176 mph in Oregon.

Source(s): I WAS IN HURRICAN KATRIAN! http://publicworks.co.marion.or.us/EmergencyManage...
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

no the waters are too cold to hit oregon, or california, or washington, hurricanes need warm water to be able to "function." In addition, the currents that would bring the hurricane would come from the north, which is once again, cold water, and makes it impossible to create a hurricane in such cold waters.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

More a question of when Oregon's going to hit a hurricane the amount of pot they smoke.

• 3 years ago

because of the waters being cooler on established it could be unlikely, yet you could desire to experience an excellent area of the foul climate. the north east nook of the typhoon is the worst of the 4. recent storms have been averaging plenty better than in previous many years. the considerable ocean currents look various extra and characteristic a much broader selection in temperature. all this leads one to assume a greater affected selection and larger storms. the worst ingredient for the NW sea coast is water based threats which comprise typhoon surge and tsunamis. it style of feels that this would proceed till worldwide warming is curtailed, shall we merely wish it is not by yet another "Little Ice Age" wish replaced into of a few help

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

no, oregon is far away from the hurricane zone. but it could get tsunamis.

• 1 decade ago

With any luck.

But I do believe that storms that hit the Pacific coast are called Typhons (I'm guessing). Check out this article for more info:

http://cgi1.usatoday.com/weather/whur12.htm

• 1 decade ago

I don't think so, we are not in a hurricane area, but we could get a tsunami.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If the worlds climate keeps changing it may become common place

• 1 decade ago

yes

• 1 decade ago

yes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.