Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicCelebrities · 1 decade ago

Do Americans take Australian celebrities like Nicole Kidman, Heath Ledger and Geoffrey Rush seriously?

Do Americans resent Australian celebrities taking jobs away from American acting talent? To what degree are foriegners in Hollywood respected?

Update:

The reason I ask is because a friend of mine is on the board ot the American "Screen Actors Guild" and they have a tendency to award American actors only, regardless.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If you measure respect in Hollywood by awards...Nicole Kidman and Geoffrey Rush both have Oscars, and Heath Ledger was nominated for Brokeback Mountain, a critically acclaimed film.

Australia has given Hollywood a huge pool of talent--in addition to the above you can add Cate Blanchett, Russell Crowe, Hugh Jackman, Mel Gibson, Peta Wilson, Anthony LaPaglia, Radha Mitchell, Guy Pearce, Poppy Montgomery...and many more.

To some extent, Hollywood is an international business with an LA zipcode. Every project is gauged on how well it will do overseas--investors, producers and directors themselves may not necessarily be Americans, although the finished product is considered to be an American film.

Foreigners in Hollywood are probably measured by the same yardstick as ANYONE in that industry--by their box office gross or TV ratings. There are always going to be sour grapes among the hundreds of actors who lose out for any given role--I don't believe that resentment by American actors is based on any sort of patriotism. If anything, you tend to hear the reverse: criticisms of Renee Zellweger playing the role of Bridget Jones, Kevin Spacey taking on the directorship of the Old Vic Theatre in London, Reese Witherspoon in Vanity Fair, Gwyneth Paltrow in several English costume dramas, etc.

In fact, I can only think of one instance of an English-language film in which there was a requirement that all the actors were of the same nationality: all actors in the Harry Potter films must be English.....however, the directors have included an American and a Mexican.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I would think the only people who would resent a foreigner "taking away jobs" in Hollywood would be other Hollywood actors.

For the most part, the general American public sees a celebrity as a celebrity, and doesn't obsess too much about where they're from.

• 1 decade ago

There are a lot of foreign actors I think Americans respect them. Look it all these sexy british men coming up in movies too.........It seems so rare to find a new American actor. I think Americans like seeing a sexy foreign actor/actress on screen. The sound of their voice and the look is very important in Hollywood. It draws attention.

• 1 decade ago

I can't speak for other americans, but I have never heard anyone say anything bad about any of them at all. I like them all. I also love to hear Keith Urban sing as well. Why would anyone resent Australian's?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

we americans hate Nicole Kidman, but not cause she's an Aussie...it's because she cannot act...

as far as the other two...never heard of them

But I want to know if you Australians are upset that all the movies in your theaters are always American movies with American stars...does that make you feel inferior?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I prefer those 3 to some american actors. actually in hollywood i don't think it really matters where you are from, if you are a celebrity people either love you, hate you, or think you're bonkers.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Hello?! Collin Farrel!?! Nicole Kiddman & Collin Farrel are on my radar...

And LMAO @ Taking jobs away from celebrities... I'm thinkin there's plenty to go around ;)

Heather~

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Americans seem to take all celebrities too seriously.

• 1 decade ago

no why would we, we need alittle spice in the acting field we don't want americans to try and imitate that accent just doesn't sound right sometimes

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That's a stupid question.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.