You'llneverguess asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

How do you tell the sex of a new born kitten - is it a line and a dot or a dot and a line (on their behind)?

I know there's a way of telling the sex of a newborn kitten -it's either they'll (on their behind) have a line and a dot or a dot and a line. I used to know how to tell and I forgot. My cat just had kittens and I want to put them in the Recycler for free but need to put down the sex's of the kittens - if anyone can help me with this question I'd be very grateful.

Thank you

Favorite Answer

Sexing Kittens

Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith, Inc.

Q. How do I distinguish between male and female kitten?

A.

Determining the sex of a kitten may be difficult especially before about 8 weeks of age. The male and the female kitten's genitalia look remarkably similar. If kittens of both sexes are available to compare, it makes the process easier and more likely to be correct. In the male kitten, the scrotum is located below the anus and above the back of the hind legs. The testicles are descended into the scrotum presumably at the time of birth. The cat's penis is immediately below the scrotum and projects behind the cat and is normally not visible. The penis is enclosed in the prepuce. The female kitten's vulva is located below the anus and above the back legs. The vulva appears more as a slit than the more circular appearance of the prepuce in the male.

Males and females both have nipples.

Even vets can get it wrong becuase there are individual variations that can fool the eye. But generally, it is two dots for a tom and dot-dash for a queen (princess?). Just don't bank on your initial determination.

it looks like an unside apostrophe for a girl and a colon for a boy ! :

When they're newborn, it is usually easiest to tell, since they don't have much fur. Girls are flat, boys aren't.

Also, please have the cat spayed!