How many Christians,Musl... etc. just knock down evolution because it conflicts with their religious ideals?

I see a lot of posts that ask "why monkeys are still around?", "Why can't humans and apes breed?", and other just plainly ignorant questions. I just wonder if many people just don't bother to understand what they are arguing against. For example, monkeys are still around because our species separated millions of years ago. There is lots of fossil evidence that supports it. Evolution has been scrutinized and studied for almost 150 years. It has never been remotely close to disproven. Yet its evidence, and even worse, the theory itself seem to get mangled up when presented to the religious mass. I have not met very many Christians who could simply explain evolution, or the theories and proof behind it. Why is this?

I just posted this same question and was amazed how fast someone came along and asked one of the questions I wrote.

If anyone really wants to know why monkeys are still around, just send me an e-mail, and I will explain it to you.

TheChicken: C'mon man. That is exactly what I am talking about.

Favorite Answer

Thatk's for the offer but I already know why they are around. WEll I think I know, I don't actually KNOW.

Now, no offense to the very religious people out there, but I have seen the same thing, just yesterday I heard somebody say that they believe in god, not apes turning into humans.

I thought that demonstrated a complete lack of knowledge about the theory of evolution, as it seems to be the case with most religious people.

Now, again, not to insult anybody, to be fair this arguement can go both ways. How many scientific people actually take the time to try and understand religious beliefs? I don't know too many that do that either.

I have looked at both, and I put my faith in evolution. I do admit that there is a posibility of religions being correct, but I think it is unlikely.

There are two ways theists view evolution:

1. They don't understand its most basic principles, and call it nonsense. (These are the ones that say, "How come there are still monkeys around?") These people are simply uneducated, and for the most part, have no desire to become otherwise. These sorts are pretty difficult to reason with, as they flatly refuse to even form an intelligent argument. They instead do the "La la la I can't hear you" manuever. So I don't typically bother with them.

2. There are other theists that are educated, and do recognize evolution as factual. Now these people... can be reasoned with. The only problem with them, and this is what I would argue with them... is that because they realize the 'creation' story is not accurate, as it's written, they attempt to "change" it. They say instead of seven days, maybe it was 70,000 years, etc. And this is what I debate with them all the time.

This backpedaling argument is akin to them saying "My bible has been proven false, soooooo, I'll just write a new one."

In this way, they are clinging to a belief, not based on the merits of that belief, but on the fact that it's the only one they've ever known. Rather than seek the truth, they scramble to hold onto the next best thing. Why? Because it's easy.

Edit - JustWondering - I think you're one of the most eloquent and polite Christians on YA. And I really appreciate that. However, I would like you to ponder one thing, based on what you said below...

The Bible... without question... was written by men. Yes, I know they were supposedly inspired by god. But who said they were inspired by God? They did! I could say the same, and under the right circumstances, people would believe me. Just look at how the Mormons got started. Consider that, when you say you don't believe in man's word. You are most definitely putting your faith in man, if you put faith in the bible... (I'm just going to post a question on this, not that I think of it)

How about all the evolutionists that still have not explained the meaning of life, they like to believe they came from an ape (well maybe, actually...) and on top of that they keep attacking religion with their so called facts...

HELLOOOO !!!! I have news for you, SCIENCE is just another belief system, NO MORE NO LESS and a pretty ugly one too!!!

So believe it if it suits you, do you feel content now? I am GOD´S SLAVE, GOD IS THE ONLY CAUSE AND OBJECTIVE OF MY EXISTENCE and... and... and I DO NOT want to convince you of anything, go live as you find more suitable and report back afterwards (oh no it´s true... you do not believe you will live further than this life... you are just some matter which is alive by case... mhmmm I start to see where all the ugliness and despair you try to preach come from.... )

I'm not sure that ideas of evolution necessarily conflict with Christianity.

Even if evolution (as Darwin and others have theorized) did take place, it could not take place anywhere else except within Creation. In other words, if evolution is "the real deal," God surely had alot to do with it. Or maybe everything to do with it.

The Bible says that the earth and all within it were created in six days. Does this mean six 24-hour periods? Probably not. The Bible was using a certain metaphorical literary form to convey a message to people who were not as scientifically advanced as we are today.

In other words, the Bible conveys religious truths -- in this case, the truth that God created everything. As for the details (six days vs. another period of time), He leaves that up to us and our God-given intellects to figure out.

The Bible doesn't contain a lot of scientific info, and I think one reason for that is that God did not want to interfere in our ability to think, to reason, and to make scientific and technical progress. He gave us intellectual powers that are way beyond those of any of His other living creations -- and He expects us to use these powers.

That's why the Bible, a very old book, doesn't say a lot about science or technology -- God didn't want to "give away" too much info because if He had done that, it would have rendered meaningless the powers of reason and intellect that He blessed us with.

Okay, seriously.

I believe in God. I believe the bible to be the word of God. (I know this is hard to understand, just hang with me a sec). God gives an explanation as to how man was created. If I fully with my heart believe that He is real, and these are His word, why would a Christian take the word of man over God?

This sounds like ignorance to you, because you don't believe. You take the word of man over God's. Can I explain how Noah fit ALL the animals into the boat, no, But the beauty of it is, I don't have to. God said it was done, and I believe He is real, and this is His word.

Believing in God is a deep seeded Faith that is in ones heart. You either have it or you don't. You believe what he said in the bible as truth, and His word, or you don't.

If man found five million "actually" ape-like human that in man's mind proved evolution, I would still not believe. God explained how Adam was made.

So, the answer to your question, is Yes. I will refuse evolution because I believe the bible to be the word of God, and he told me how Adam was created. This doesn't mean I don't believe in science, I do. But on the other side of that coin, I believe that all the science we have today, one, God has allowed, and two was created by him, not man.

I am certain that you will disagree, but you asked,here is my answer.

God bless.

• JAT

There have been some inroads. Many are now reluctantly subscribing to intra-species evolution, e.g., the idea that bacteria can evolve. (Yes, I can hear the "Duh!") And slowly but surely even the handful of biologists claiming to be anti-evolutionists are becoming eerily silent. (This tends to happen when you have a "scientific" theory that has absolutely no predictive or empirical characteristics.)

Also keep in mind that this is phenomenon is largely restricted to a type of dogma we find mostly in American Christian fundamentalism and their Islamic counterparts.

UPDATE:

After reading many of the answers I would like to add that a large part of the blame must go to what is obviously an abysmal system of science education.

It can be a scary thing to have something challenge the ideas your life has been centered around. I know, but I have no problem with evolution per say, it’s the people who say evolution means no God. There are many reasons they could work together; one being hey, why not say God put evolution in motion? I'm not a scientologist, but I do believe that science will one day lead us to God, because if God is truth and science tries to find the truth, they can only meet.

Why does it have to be one or the other? We don't live in a world of absolutes, there are infinite possibilities. The truth of our existance is far beyond our limited human comprehension.

I believe that "God" is a total energy source, is everywhere and everything, including each one of us, and is not a being with a gender. Specifically, not an old man in the sky on a throne as I was conditioned to believe in the Church growing up.

Read Home with God by Neale Donald Walsch or any of his Conversation with God books. They are quite interesting and eye-opening.

Evolution if proved to be true then fossils of monkey should date back to the time they first appeared on earth and the humans fossils be categorized in similar time frame. Then lets see if you can prove that this deformed human skeleton that you refer to was not a phase in evolution rather a retarded version of the humans to apes. Please do check it.

• Erika

Dah! can not you notice that we've been placed right here in basic terms approximately 10,000 years in the past? God placed us right here, and it did no longer take lengthy for us to be certain complicated recommendations in any respect, I recommend we fantastically lots started out recording historic previous on the time the earth cooled. We faught off dinosaurs with spears till the flood got here and drown all of them,. that isn't any longer interior the bible, yet that is an extremely knowledgeable guess, i don't be attentive to WHY they might not meantion good sized lizards searching guy in Egypt, Greece, Iraq, Rome or the bible tale of Noah's ark. you notice, there is not any longer lots fossil info, why would there be? there have in basic terms been like hundreds of thousands of distinctive species latest which includes all the dinosaurs, and don't you think of that if we are able to locate human mummies thousands of years previous, there would additionally be dinosaurs with flesh nonetheless on the bone?--of direction! because of the fact of this we see issues like that each and every person the time! for all time. and don't you notice that it in basic terms takes some thousand years to make petrified timber? i'd additionally estimate that it in basic terms takes approximately 4 thousand years to make diamonds from coal. I recommend, God needless to say needed us to have attractive gem stones, why else would he make it so as that they've been created so speedy? hmm? and that i additionally make a psuedo-biblical estimation that it takes approximately 4 thousand years to make oil from prehistoric keeps to be. Oh, wait a 2nd, did I say that? NO, no. there is not any such element as PRE historic previous, being that we created civilization fantastically lots the comparable time the earth formed. Scientists are such fools, I recommend, that is too no longer elementary to wrap my head around the thought that issues are rather THAT previous, so i will basically choose to have confidence issues which don't make sense...mmmmk?