I'm finishing a management degree, and want to own a small business, but don't know which business is suitable

I'm a single parent and have little experience in business. I'm seriously considering to own a small business, but don't know how I can handle it and what type of business is relevant to my studies of business management. Where can I get supports and assistance. I do research and find most of shops for sale are NOT doing well, but asking for a high price becase most of them going through business brokers. How do find a good shop at a reasonable price and be suitable to my own personal circumstances? Welcome all your comments and responses. Please don't send offended comments.

Best Answer

Think of all your interests & ask yourself if any of those could be expanded into a business. Just keep in mind...what's your expertise? What are your interests? What could you imagine yourself doing?

What types of management appeal to you? Business? Artist? Project? It could be easier to narrow your search once you focus in on a particular type of management.

By researching the prospect of starting your own business -- what it entails, what you need to know, helpful hints, etc -- you'll feel better prepared to take that plunge.

I found some book titles that are relevant to your specific question:

* 101 Internet Businesses You Can Start from Home by Susan Sweeney

* The Best Home Businesses for the 21st Century by Paul Edwards

* Selling Online: How to Become a Successful E-Commerce Merchant by Jim Carroll

* I Could Do Anything If I Only Knew What It Was: How to Discover What You Really Want and How to Get It by Barbara Sher

* I Don't Know What I Want, But I Know It's Not This: A Step-by-Step Guide to Finding Gratifying Work by Julie Jansen

MANAGEMENT SPECIFIC:

* This Business Of Artist Management by Jr. Xavier M. Frascogna, H. Lee Hetherington

* The Complete Guide to Special Event Management : Business Insights, Financial Advice, and Successful Strategies from Ernst & Young...by Dwight W. Catherwood, Richard L. Van Kirk

* Careers in Management Consulting: The WetFeet Insider Guide (2005 Edition) by Wetfeet

* The Harvard Business School Guide to Careers in Management Consulting, 2002 by Maggie Lu

I also posted some article links in the source box.

Hope that helps! I wish you much success & happiness in all your ventures!

Source(s): http://ezinearticles.com/?5-New-And-Lesser-Known-O... – 5 New and Lesser Known Online Business Ideas by Rojo Sunsen http://www.ezinearticles.com/?How-To-Find-Hot-Onli... – How to Find Hot Online Business Ideas by Jeff Smith http://ezinearticles.com/?Top-7-Home-Business-idea... – Top 7 Home Business Ideas by Jennifer Carter http://ezinearticles.com/?Best-Home-Business-Ideas... – Best Home Business Ideas – How to Choose One by Frederic Madore

Hi! i would recommend you start most profitable LEGITIMATE home based business which is fully automated. It is very simple to start just signup and you are ready to go, it does not require any experience. This system is very much different from other business which requires lot of time and energy. This incredible system allows you to earn fortune without selling, advertising, prospecting, closing or answering questions and has very small initial start up investment. It works 24/ 7 and you can earn profit for each automatic sale, sitting in your home, enjoying life with family and friends or on vacation. . This system allows you to earn $3000 for very sale that you make. Imagine$3000 everyday! This business can be done Globally.

Source(s): visit the website for full details and as a thanks you will receive FREE amazing gift worth of $1,395. http://www.best-automatic-wealth.com

Try the franchising websites. There are a variety of different businesses that are franchised, and you can get an idea of their success to compare to non-franchised businesses. Just as an FYI, the failure rate of franchised businesses is much lower than businesses that are not; often a good way for someone with limited operational expertise to gaid experience and build on success.

Source(s): franchising.com franchising.org ownyourownfranchise.com franchisesolutions.com

Hey. I admire your drive. However, I think you probably need a little practical working experience before you own your own. I would seek out a job that requires interacting with customers and selliing. Why? Because if you own your own business, you ARE the salesperson, and good selling skills are critical to success.

Have you investigated this? go pick up magazine from news stand called sucess from home june 2006 issue. It's talk about the most sucessful company for many year. Check following sites, may help you. good support system.

www.ppatel1.qhealthbeauty.com

www.thisbiznow.com or contact on 8772713406

Good luck

first, what businesses do you know? how do they make money? businesses do not match education, sorry. an education teaches you how to think...that is good...experience is what counts. i have a public relations degree...i own a medical supply company...apply virtually none of my education...now that you know how to think (education) remember all tose stupid meaningles term papers you had to do? what did you learn...answer, how to research...if you want to own a business chose areas that interest you and find out everything possible you can about them...in other words write yourself a term paper...the more you know, the better prepared you are to act...most important is how does the company make it's money and what is the driving force behind it?

hertz doesn't make money renting cars...it makes money selling used cars...think about it

JOIN THE FAMILY

NURTURE. PAMPER. EMPOWER

THE WARM SPIRIT COMMUNITY

PROVIDES A SUPPORTIVE ENVIRONMENT FOR SELF-CARE, WELLNESS AND ABUNDANCE.

IN THE MEDIA

WARM SPIRIT HAS RECEIVED UNPRECEDENTED COVERAGE IN THE MEDIA. WE HAVE BEEN FEATURED IN NATIONAL MAGAZINES, NEWSPAPERS AND WEBSITES ACROSS THE COUNTRY.

ARTICLES FOUND IN:

EBONY, O OPRAH’S MAGAZINE, HOUSE & GARDEN, PREGNANCY

BLACK ENTERPRISE, UPSCALE, NATURAL HEALTH, SELF

WALL STREET JOURNALS

WE HAVE A PARTNERSHIP WITH ESSENCE MAGAZINE

HISTORY

AND LOVER OF NATURE, DANIEL WOLF, ALONG WITH A CLOSE FRIEND WHOSE STYLE AND TASTE HE ADMIRED, NADINE THOMPSON, PUT THEIR ENTREPRENEURIAL SPIRITS TOGETHER AND BUILD WARM SPIRIT.

WHEN NADINE

EXPERIENCED THE PRODUCTS FOR THE FIRST TIME SHE NEW THAT DANIEL HAD FOUND SOMETHING ASTOUNDING.

“IT WAS LIKE NO OTHER SKIN CREAM I’D EVER USED. AND IT WAS SUPERIOR TO ALL THE FANCY LINES-INCLUDING THE TOP FRENCH, SWISS, AND AMERICAN PRODUCTS.”

NADINE, A HOLDER OF A MASTERS IN SOCIAL WORK, HAD LONG BEEN COMMITTED TO SOCIAL ACTION, CULTURAL CHANGE AND INSTILLING A SENSE OF WELLBEING IN OTHERS.

DANIEL, A CAUCASIAN MAN AND NADINE, AN AFRICAN AMERICAN WOMAN BEGAN BRAINSTORMING ABOUT THE COMMUNITY BASED COMPANY THEY WANTED TO CREATE TO EMPOWER AND PROVIDE FOR FIRST TIME ENTREPRENUERERS.

THEY WANTED TO CREATE APPEALING, USEFUL, SATISFYING AND NATURAL PRODUCTS. THEY WANTED TO INTRODUCE HOMEOPATHIC REMEDIES AND SERVE A WIDE RANGE OF CONSUMERS.

OFFICIALLY LAUNCHED IN JUNE OF 1999 WITH 38 NEW PRODUCTS AND SEVERAL MORE SINCE THEN. THE PRODUCTS ARE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE COMPANY’S CATALOGS, TOLL FREE NUMBERS, AND ITS NATION-WIDE :CONSULTANTS.” THE PRODUCTS CAN ALSO BE FOUND IN SPAS, BEAUTY SHOPS AND FROM MASSAGE THERAPISTS AND WELLNEWSS PROVIDERS.

“ WARM SPIRIT IS ALL ABOUT WELL-BEING AND CARING FOR THE INSIDE AS WELL AS THE OUTSIDE. OUR PRODUCTS ARE HEALING AND HELPING CUSTOMERS, AND OUR BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES HELP PEOPLE HELP THEMSELVES.”

- Nadine Thompson

I'd love to tell you more and answer any questions you may have. in the meantime, I invite you to check out my website. I am a recent graduate, wife and mother of 3 children.

Source(s): www.warmspirit.org/samelarucker