Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 decade ago

If we could DNA-test Jesus, would He be haploid?

Favorite Answer

I had a biology teacher in high school say once that there was only one case of parthenogenesis (so-called vigin birth) in humans...Jesus Christ. Parthenogenesis in vertebrates usually involves all-female species where the females lay diploid eggs that develop into diploid females. Because human males have an X and a Y chromosomes and females two X's, the parthenogeneis explanation is impossible (unless Jesus was female).

But, in insects and some other animals, unfertilized (haploid) eggs develop into males - but this is impossible in humans. So Jesus would have to have been diploid (that is if he existed) and we would have to assume that he got the Y chromosome from God (if he exists).

Source(s): I teach anatomy at a University and study evolution.

Interesting concept there. Seeing as his father is not human, I can see the problem. Here is what I see to be the easy solution though. Jesus was fully man an fully God. In order to be fully man, he has to be fully human. In order to be fully human, he has to have the right number of chromosomes that make a human a human. How did he get the other half then? Well, I think that it is likely and easily just another case of creation. If God created mankind in the beginning, no matter what form of it you accept or reject, then what prevents Him for creating another human. This time He just created the other half of the genes that Mary did not provide. Please understand, I am not saying that God had sex with Mary and she conceived a child. I am saying that God created the rest of the genes and used them to complete the child in Mary, thus she got pregnant, thus she gave birth. Therefore, in my mind, even if we could DNA test Jesus, he would be haploid. God just created the other half.

• Scott4 years agoReport

Haploid is correct. 23 chromosomes from his mother and 1 Y chromosome from his father, God.

Source: Wyatt Archaeological Research

In Isaac Asimov's book on the Bible, he reiterates that the term Virgin in Biblical times referred to a woman that had never been married (or had never before had a child, one of the two...my copy has been stolen or I would check). Hence, the Biblical story of virgin birth is misleading to us in modern times. I do not say that Jesus was not the Messiah, as I am a Christian. I am just clarifying some terminology here. The body of Jesus was diploid.

Source(s): Book on the Bible, by Isaac Asimov

Unfortunately, there is currently no such answer to that question because of the fact of the ever-lasting controversy that is going on between Science and Religion.

(Or more commonly reffered to as the controversy between Evolution and Intelligent Design.)

Source(s): I, just like many others across the nation, have heard all about this infamous controversy that has been going on and on for a long time and doesn't seem to stop. However, I do have one source for you that might help you find more information on this super-hot topic. That source is: www.cbsnews.com

I believe Jesus was a mortal person, so no. Even if he was special I would still think he would be diploid like any other human...except for his sperm of course.