promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

what is a fuselage in aircraft jargon?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

in simple The body of the aircraft

The cockpit is located at the front of the fuselage. The wing attaches to the fuselage. The rear of the fuselage has the tail and elevators. The fuselage is where passengers and cargo are contained

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The fuselage is the portion of the aircraft which contains the "payload" (i.e. pilots, passengers, and cargo). On a small general aviation aircraft (for example, a Cessna 172) the various parts from nose to tail are:

spinner, propellor, cowl & engine compartment, firewall, fuselage (which includes seats & baggage compartment), empennage, horizontal & vertical stabilizers, elevators & rudders

Some people here include the engine compartment and empennage in their definition of fuselage. There is some ambiguity about whether the engine compartment should be considered part of the fuselage, but the empennage is definitely not part of the fuselage.

Wings, vertical stabilizer, and horizontal stabilizers are fixed, and are called "flight surfaces". Ailerons, flaps, rudder, and elevators can move, and are called "control surfaces" or "flight control surfaces".

• 1 decade ago

Fuselage is about every part of the plane that doesn't have another name. The cockpit is located at the front of the fuselage. The wing attaches to the fuselage. The rear of the fuselage has the tail and elevators. The fuselage is where passengers and cargo are contained.

• 1 decade ago

"Fuselage" is aircraft jargon. In laymans' terms, it's the body of the aircraft, less the wings and flight control surfaces.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The fuselage is the main body of the plane

• heuss
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

What Is A Fuselage

• Angela
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I doubt it goes to 450 much if indeed that is its true ceiling. Most airliners are quite altitude-limited by weight (and to some extent temp) and for any of those guys to make it to 410 (or even 390, it seems) is a big deal. But I don't know about the 747SP specifically. If you really want high altitude (and high Mach; .85 and higher), go Gulfstream 550, Citation X, and similar. But there are other bizjets that will climb directly to 410, 430, or 450 at M0.78 or better. I know a 757-400 captain and he told me they had to level off at 330 once b/c they were at max weight.

• 1 decade ago

fuselage is the body of the plane without the wings

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That part of an Aircraft less the Wings.

• 1 decade ago

The hull

Source(s): Common Sense
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.