Which is more important, to learn and have your beliefs challenged or to convince others of your own beliefs?

I've noticed three approaches that are common in this forum. 1) Attack the person or sincerity of those you disagree with. *these I dismiss out-of-hand, often without reading further. 2) Explain a little, anticipate a lot. *The main thrust of these answers tends to be changing minds by (un)presuavsive... show more I've noticed three approaches that are common in this forum.
1) Attack the person or sincerity of those you disagree with.
*these I dismiss out-of-hand, often without reading further.
2) Explain a little, anticipate a lot.
*The main thrust of these answers tends to be changing minds by (un)presuavsive argument.
3) Provide a straightforward peresentation of one own point of view.
*these I read carefully and often with fascination.

I'm not trying to advocate a specific approach. I'm just curious about the motivation behind each. I also wonder which approach the writers would consider most effective to meet their personal goals. (Even if that is to rattle cages or cause angry or closed-minde reactions in others)