Bob asked in Games & RecreationGambling · 1 decade ago

To win on a casino slot machine I need just luck or there is a way to choose the right one or a way to play?

Now I know than there is some strategy to play the casino roulette but, what about the slot machines.

Favorite Answer

Play the slot machines, but only as a source of entertainment. The odds of coming out ahead on the slots is always under 50%, so if you play forever with an endless supply of money, you will always end up with less than you started with. The "luck" of winning in slots is playing the right amount of time to win a few and be up on money and know when to walk away. If you can walk away at the "lucky" time before you lose any money, then you could consider it lucky to have not lost money while being entertained.

Also, many of the slot machines you see will say winner 98% of the time. All this means is that the machine is paying you something 98% of the time, not that you will come out ahead 98% of the time. If you put in $1 and win 5 cents, you effectively just lost 95 cents. But the casino still counts the 5 cents as a winning spin. Just beware of what they mean when you see such high odds of winning.

As far as roulette goes, you can play for fun again, but in the end, you will always lose if you play forever with ANY strategy and an endless amount on cash. There is a term called the "House Advantage" which describes the amount of money you effectively lose on every Roulette bet you place. In a standard roulette game with 36 numbers a "0" and "00" the house advantage is just over 5%. So, you will consistently lose 5% per bet in the long run. The wheels in Monte Carlo only have 37 possible numbers and the house advantage is only 3%. So, if you want to have more fun for a longer period of time, you should play Monte Carlo Roulette because you will lose your money at a slower pace.

So, if you want to make money in Vegas, you better do it with a skill/psychology game like poker and not a probability game. Look at how big Vegas has grown and grown over the years and there are always more businessmen trying to open casinos there because they know how many people will come to play their probability games and lose at least 51% of the time. Slot machines and many of the other games in Vegas are just that, games, forms of entertainment. You almost always have to pay for entertainment, but in this case your entertainment comes with a possibility to win a ton of money. So you will be even more willing to dump more cash into Vegas to be entertained and teased by the possibility of a big payoff.

Have Fun :)

Source(s): I was a math major in college and studied the probabilities of many casino games.

I have family that lives in Las Vegas (and surrounding areas) They work for the hotels in the area... Now, I don't really know that there is a stragey or a trick to winning on a slot, but I will tell you a quick story:

My aunt who works at one of the hotels, also has a friend who works in the casino at that hotel. Anyhow, the lady that runs the casino has a guy come up to her and ask which slot hadn't hit the jackpot lately. She pointed to one that hadn't given much out in a while. So he decided to play that slot. She didn't see him any time after that or hear anything about, she didn't really think much of it. The next day, he comes into the casino and gives her a set of keys to a brand new car. Apparently, he won quite a bit of money on the machine (I'm not sure of the exacts, all I know was he was really happy and made enough to buy her a nice car).

That is a 100% true story, I am not adding any details what so ever. So, my only advice is to ask someone that knows.

This was a few years ago, so I'm not sure if they still run the same way or not, but I thought it was pretty interesting.

The slot machines are entirely random. As a guy who formerly worked on the computers that run the slot machines, it's a computer program that tracks how much money has been put into a bank of machines, and after that amount of time, it pays some back. Which machine gets the payout is a somewhat random element.

There is no strategy to playing slots, except to always bet the maximum amount so that if you're lucky enough to hit, you get the maximum payout.

Casinos make much more off machines than they do table games...that's why most casinos primarily have slot machines.

Press the feeder bar...

Source(s): I'm a craps and poker player.
  • barger

Lucky Casino Slot Machine

Sorry, but it's the luck of the draw.

The gaming companies take great pains to ensure that their hardware and software is as random as possible. The reason for this is simple. If it were demonstrated in any way that a machine was biased or a pattern could be discerned in the way that machine operates, or it was compromised in any way, they would have their license suspended and all of their machines would be suspended from operation until everything was fixed.

The Nevada Gaming Commission and Gaming Control Board don't just give out licenses willy-nilly. Every piece of hardware and software in operation in Nevada is tested and audited by them. There are only a handful of people on their staff who are allowed to do that and they are security and credit checked to death before they can ever go near a machine. This is one of the tightest operations there is and they take their work very seriously.

Because I work in IT in the hotel/casino industry even I have to hold a Gaming Control Board license, and I don't even work with casino systems!

Now, what is interesting is that all the slot machines in a given casino are linked to a Casino Management System (CMS). One variable that the casino can manipulate is a percentage of what's paid in versus what's paid out. By going to different casinos you will soon get a feel for which ones pay out more often. I tend to find that the more expensive the hotel, the more they pay out in their slot machines.

The only ones making money besides the casinos and some random players, are the people writing books, telling you how to "beat the odds". A lot of superstition and wishing go on when playing the machines. If you happen to hit a reasonable jackpot when you play, even if you just got to the place, cash it in and leave, otherwise you will actually start to believe lightening can strike twice in the same spot, and before you know it, you will have given the casino back all the money you just won! The main strategy I would say is to only bring a limited amount of money(that you can afford to squander),and leave checkbooks, credit and debit cards at home. Don't get money that would require you to get a loan either! Don't use money that is originally for paying bills, nor taking away from your families needs! Other than that, have fun!!!

You can base your understanding off the official categorization that the government puts on slot machines. It is called "luck-based games" and it is set so that the casino has the edge in a way of "payback rate" which is the amount of cents the casino is paying back for each dollar it receives. It is never 100% and it is extremely rare to win a solid sum in slots without losing even more during the process.

• ZCT

Pure luck.

But...

- Avoid machines hidden away in quiet areas of the casino. Casinos have a tendency to put more generous machines where people are so that passers by can hear and see people winning.

- Look for machines that have 98% or better advertised. This means they are looser than many others.

- Always play maximum coins for a chance at a better jackpot.

- Never play less than quarter machines, they pay less and often cost more to play.

Unsuccessful results always view successful results as "lucky", especially in gaming. Slots machines require two skills: decision making and managing yourself (as to bankroll, how long you'll stay at a slot machines,etc.).That is, the skill of discipline. The Minnesota Supreme Court just ruled in a tax case re slot machine winnings that skills were involved and it could be viewed as a business. Not every business has to have certitude of succeeding or failing (was their ruling). Slot machines pay out in different ways...the "Volatility". Some pay little and then dramatically give a good pay; others pay little bits often. Observe them in your Casino. But since you can't watch them 24 hrs. , this will give you a minor guide. The way to play is what I call "first date". If you do not get much pay in your first $20 bucks, move on. The marriage will be worse if you outstay your welcome!A favorite line that helps me is "Fearlessness not Foolishness." Best of Skills! Jake

Boy, you've hit the nail right on the head! Actually there is NO luck involved when playing slot machines--it is all skill. Here are the best tips I gleaned from the best selling book "Making the One-Armed Bandit Pay-Off EVERY Time!"

1. ALWAYS wear a hat when playing--always (I'm sure I don't have to tell you why.)

2. When pulling the arm, jerk it quickly--NEVER slow. This is vital.

3. Never look directly at the tumblers as they are turning, this can throw off the chances of winning. Always look just above the machine or at another player to your side.

4. Never allow your hands or feet to get sweaty. Towel off every few minutes or wear flip flops--NEVER athletic shoes (for obvious reasons).

5. Lastly, and this is perhaps the most important, always wear boxers--NEVER butt-hugger briefs!! If a girl, thong underwear will reduce your chances of winning drastically. Bikini or boxer briefs are all right for girls, but that is all.

Good luck and spend your earnings wisely!!