Kaz G asked in Entertainment & MusicMusic · 1 decade ago

Why don't people like Jazz?

I don't mean smooth Jazz, I can sort of see why lots of ppl (wrongfully) purchase Kenny G Albums, but why don't people buy the Kenny Garret Albums, the Freddie Hubbard Albums, and the Wayne Shorter Albums anymore? It pains me that this Music is generally so rejected.

If you don't like Jazz, WHY NOT?

Favorite Answer

Hello

From someone who dislikes most jazz they've heard let me explain my thoughts..

Perhaps because the layout is different from pop music.. the structure of the songs.. people are subconciously expecting a top40 formula in 4/4 and they're getting something totally different. It can be quite difficult to stay on top of a jazz song.. the instruments start to sound as if they're having their own fast dialog with each other.. and its in a language I dont quite understand, so how can I enjoy the dialog when I dont know what they're saying?

Jazz seems similar in essence to much classical music with that respect.. the music is a lot more dynamic and 'alive' (if you will) than most of the top40 stuff playing on the radio..

that and the instruments.. personally, the timbre of a saxophone literally gives me a headache.. I think its the frequency space it takes up.. a squeeling trumpet can do the same.. (actually a squeeling anything can do it hehe)

just some thoughts.. hope I havent offended you. :c)

Because they haven't had enough exposure to it, that's one reason. I disagree with the idea that only "refined" people can like jazz. I mean, a lot of jazz musicians end up druggies or broke or both. I'ts only the legends, the Coltranes, the Davises that keep playing gig after gig because they want to, not because they have to, like the rest of them. Reason #2 (I can think of countless others, but don't have the time): People are just naturally oriented toward bad taste. And mundanity. Example: Just look at some the questions these people are asking: "Is Hillary Duff's hair cuter than Gwen Stefani's?" Crap like that. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

I like John Coltrane a little better than Miles Davis. But, being a white chick from the suburbs, Im more into Jazz Fusion and John Mayer Trio. The John Mayer Trio is nothing like the pop stuff he came out with a few years back.

It takes repeated listening/exposure. I love "Straight Life" CD by Freddie Hubbard and John Coltrane CD "A Love Supreme" We are an ADD society and people won't give it a chance without getting exposed over a period of time

by it's very definition , what appeals to most people is

going to easily enjoyed by the LOWEST COMMON DENOMNATOR

a category of which I for one , choose not to be a member.

Extrapolation , permutation , syncopation , stripping down

to the bare bones and then dressing back up again , to me this is what the essence of jazz means . Fluidity of phrasing , fun and sadness and excitement communicated through your instrument . People do like jazz , only the group is a small , discriminating , and intellectually

curious section of the whole .

I have come to the conclusion that Jazz is a very complicated musical style and it takes a truly refined person to appreciate it.

hey, how about wes montgomery, kenny burrell, ornette coleman, miles davis, howard roberts, ron carter, billy cobham, john coltrane, and charlie parker? i think a lot of people now days don't have either the attention span or appreciation of the improvisational aspect of true jazz.

Most people don't buy music at stores anymore. They download it at iTunes or illegally. Maybe you just haven't meet people in your area that like this kind of music.

personally I LOVE big band swing. This is my kind of Jazz but it takes time and energy to understand and appreciate it. people don't have that kind of time anymore

Because people don't really know what jazz is anymore. There' so many variations that it's confusing.