Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

What is the difference between alzheimers and dimentia?

Or are they the sme thing?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Dementia is actually caused by Alzheimer's also common in patient with NPH. Dementia is the loss of normal mental abilities and those who have it often have a vivid imagination. Alzheimer's is actually a disease affecting regular function (like remembering names)and ultimately usually leads to death. in other words dementia is more of a mental health problem whereas Alzheimer's is more of a medical condition. Kristina made a good point my grandfather had dementia and thought everyone was stealing things and hed swear he took a pill he didnt. Its very sad to see!

Source(s): Working in nursing homes and mental health care
  • 1 decade ago

Alzheimer's disease is thought to be caused by plaque on the brain that causes the confusion and mental deterioration.

Senile Dementia is from 'aging' of the brain and it's blood vessels, causing general confusion etc.

• 1 decade ago

Technically they are the same because Alzheimer is a type of dementia.

Source(s): Microsof Encarta Encyclopedia Standard 2004. And plenty of reading.
  • 1 decade ago

alzheimers causes dimentia. It is a symptom.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You can have dementia without Alzheimer's. (Its a symptom of Alzheimer's, as said previously).

However, you don't usually have Alzheimer's without dementia.

Here's a list of other causes of dementia.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's a type of Alzheimer's... My grandmother has that...She forgets things and believes things that aren't true... Like that people come into her room and steal things or hide things from her...

• 1 decade ago

dimentia is the beging of alzheimers my

grandmother had it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

THEY ARE SPELT DIFFRENT...LOL

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.