Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

What teams/players would you recommend to watch for a new baseball fan and why?

I love sports but I just really got into watching baseball. I really haven't established a favorite team yet and I was wondering what you all would recommend. I watch ESPN so I know all the drama over Bonds. I just want to know what teams are the best to watch and why.

Currently I am in West Virginia, I will soon be living in Utah.

Favorite Answer

This completely depends on how you want to choose your team. If you want a good team that is always in contention then the Yankees, Red Sox, White Sox, Cardinals are all good options. If you want to root locally in WV you could go with the Braves. In Utah there really isnt a local team there is the diamondbacks in Arizona and the Rangers and Astros in Texas. Personally if I was a new fan I would either root for the Diamondbacks or Angels. They are both good teams with very good young players in there farm system so they should be good for a while. The Milwaukee brewers and Detroit tigers are also both good young teams. Whatever you do pick a team and stick with it.

The St. Louis Cardinals are the most successful National League Team in MLB history. They have won 9 world series champs, more that any other team in their league. They have had some of the sports greatest players ranging from stan musial to ozzie smith to now currently Albert Pujols and Scott Rolen. The city worships their baseball team and they just completed a new, state of the art ball park named busch stadium, just like the landmark they played in the past 39 years. The cardinals have the best and most supportive fans in baseball and going to a game in St. Louis is a great expierence. If you like the cards, then the cubs suck, they are in the same division and have had opposite, proportionate results being as horrible at baseball and winning as the cardinals have been successful.

Baseball, for me at least, is sort of an escape from reality. For three hours I feel like I can immerse myself in something I enjoy, and I don't have to worry about school or tennis or whatever else is going on in my life. I can't say I'm always HAPPY, when I'm watching baseball... Especially when my Rangers are getting beat 7-0 in the fifth... But I always enjoy myself. And I was really sorry to hear about Nick Adenhart, it's just really sad... He had just made his first start and was only 22 years old. It's always sad when a team loses a member, but especially so when the victim is that young and talented.

You have to start watching the games of the N.Y. Yankees Boston Red Sox, and of course the champions White Sox in the American. These teams have a great tradition on baseball so start watching them. In the National I recommend to follow St. Louis Cardinals, Cincinnati Reds, Chicago Cubs

Source(s): go to mlb.com
  • Mav17

A favorite team is an acquired taste. Just watch which team you seem most interested in.

As for players, I would watch Pujols and Bonds. Bonds is about to break a milestone and Pujols is simply the best hitter in baseball right now.

Midwest: Cubs (They are on WGN tv so you can watch them all the time!)

West: Dodgers - They have Nomar and they are destined to do something good here real soon. Historical franchise which included Sandy koufax and the Kirk Gibson home run in the world series.

East: Atlanta Braves! They are on tv all over the country (TNT) and I think they might have won a division title a few years in a row....They have a guy named Chipper.

Source(s): Overall I recommend the Cubs because you always have something to shoot for, a world series. Cub fans love the Cubs whether they win or lose and a true Cub fan will always be thinking about next year....& "They year it coulda been".... FUN STUFF!
  • Toronto Blue Jays or Chicago White Sox

The NY Mets are my favorite team. They have two of the best young players in baseball, David Wright and Jose Reyes.

I'm a Braves fan, but by no means will recommend you watch them. At least not yet.

I do have to agree that the St. Louis Cardinals are a great team, plus they have Albert Pujols who is probably one of the greatest hitters of his generation.

The worst thing you could do to yourself is be to a Yankee, or red sox, fan. They are both very evil.

You should root for a team that is honest and hard working, much like The Detroit Tigers.

u should get into the chicago cubs! they are on wgn tv nationwide a lot, (so u can see them more often than most teams), they got great fans, and if u come to chicago, they got the best stadium in wrigley field where everyone wants to go see a game