Why are Christians inconsistent?

I'm not talking about inconsistencies and contradictions in the bible here. I mean to ask how can you, as a Christian, reconcile the ideas of both considering the Bible sacred and God's word which must not be questioned, and yet ignoring certain parts of it? Examples would include:

Eating shellfish when commanded not to.

Working on days you've been told not to.

Wearing mixed-fabric clothing when forbidden to.

Not stoning all homosexuals as you are commanded to.

Ignoring examples in the Old Testament of divinely-approved rape, genocide and slavery.

Ignoring the Old Testament altogether, when commanded by Jesus himself to still follow it.

All the other examples which you choose to ignore (and this was actually an issue brought to my attention by an Australian brotherhood of CHRISTIANS. Not part of the "evil atheist agenda".

I must point out to those who say "the OT has nothing to do with our new testament"...read your own scripture again, properly. Rather wish I had my annotated bible here, as it has all such important references highlighted. :( So here's a tip; never lend your bible to your twin brother who is an even stronger atheist than you are >.<

Favorite Answer

I think it might be worth pointing out the difference between religion and faith here, and between Christians as members of a church and as followers of Christ.

However much we may regret it, the fact is there are a variety of Christian churches and, when you analyse it, most of the differences between them are effectively man-made; we may all have the same Bible (not quite true, but that's another matter), but people interpret it differently and also take account of historical settings and changes in society.

It is one thing to be a church member, or even a strict Bible follower, quite another to follow Christ. As has been said the New Covenant which Jesus enters into with the world, while not negating the law, does supersede it; it is also true that the New Testament emphasis is not on the Law, but on love; not on observance but on morality; not on fear of God but on respect for and duty to Him; not on belonging to, or being chosen by God, but of our choice to follow Jesus.

To try and answer your question it is, at one level, simply because Christians are also human, but, at another level the question is only possible because we sometimes mistakenly assume "Christian" means a church member or a person who subscribes to a particular set of beliefs whereas it really means a follower of and believer in Jesus Christ and should be understood in terms of personal spirituality and devotion etc, not merely adherence to a particular text.

• Your answer is found in Galatians chapter 3 in the New Testament. Man was never meant to be able to keep the law, and furthermore the verses you quoted are for the Old Testament nation of Israel, a nation that no body belongs to today. they were designed to:1) ensure the health and prosperity of this new nation (shellfish) 2) show a picture of a spiritual truth (the sabbath=the Day of the LORD, when Christ shall reign on the earth) and 3) Ensuring no tolerance for immorality in the new nation (homosexuality) ultimately the law was to break mankind and make us realize that no matter how good we thought we were, we weren't good enough to please God. I would also appreciate the references for divinely appointed rape for further discussion temple_of_dirt@yahoo.com

You obviously know nothing about the religion. The OT laws have nothing to do with Jesus, Jesus was against the rules of the pharisees and wanted us to focus more on love & faith. When Jesus died on the cross we received the gift of grace and we were released from the laws of the Old Testament. Maybe you should actually research the religion before making such false accusations.

You are going to get a lot of "wasn't us" answers here, funny how Christians freely quote the old testament when they want to condemn people but then deny it is anything to do with them or their beliefs when taken to task for it.

Wasn't us! wasn't me, wasn't true Christians.

Much like in the times of slavery when the only real men were white men, as black people were not to be considered men at all by good Christians it enabled them to have the slaves to work their plantations conveniently without conflicting with their beliefs.

i think it would be because although we do consider the Bible as sacred and we should follow God's command, but i wouldn't say it is without questioning. in the Old Testament (OT) it is the first covenant with man, in that case people would must follow without questioning because it was for our own good. In the OT the only sacrifice for sin was that of the blood of lambs. Sin all sin only has one final punishiment death, but there are different degrees of penalties until finality. in the New Testament there is a new covenant, the OT is still valid but it is imposible to keep the whole law. In OT it was the rule of law, not grace. In the NT time it is the time for law and grace. Everyman has the law in their hearts christian and no-christian alike.

15The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says:

Hebrews 10:15-17 (New International Version)

16"This is the covenant I will make with them

after that time, says the Lord.

I will put my laws in their hearts,

and I will write them on their minds."[a] 17Then he adds:

"Their sins and lawless acts

I will remember no more."[b]

so now a new convenant but to enter into grace we must accept Christ and the Son of God.

21But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, 23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement,[i] through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— 26he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.

So this is how eventhoug we don't wear clothes of one clothe we can be justified before God. It is Jesus death for us that makes me perfect in Gods eye even that truth had not been revealed until I die.

• nicole

commercial propaganda. With quantities of differing beliefs in this international ,how can all and sundry be certain that's the right decision. people would as well turn a coin and say i will bypass with heads for christianity and tails for scientology. that's change into an absolute funny tale.

Because the Old Testament had nothing to do with Jesus and His new covenant with us.

True Christian teaching have no inconsistency and contradiction, just the man

The link below might help ;)

• renoz

I'm sorry i don't know.I'm sot a Christine