Do cats actually "spray" in the corners of the house? They are all fixed. But my mom insists that my cats

have "sprayed" in certain areas of my home, especially in the corners. I have never seen them do this. There are a couple of places where there are dark spots in the corners, but I don't think that this is what that is. She says that if I ever want to sell the house, I will have to re-do all the floors and the drywall. (her husband is allergic to cats, and they both would like to see me get rid of my cats) I have five cats. They are all fixed. They use their litter box, not the walls. I do wonder what the dark spots are from, but I think that one of my black cats likes to sit in that corner. I think it is just from the oils of his fur. Any similar experiences?

• Lv 4
    Favorite Answer

Male cats spray even when they are fixed. With that many cats they may feel the need to mark their territory. I had 3 cats and my oldest was a male, wasn't bothered when I brought home a female. 2 years later brought in another he started spraying, when I found the cat another home, he stopped spraying. It was itty-bitty not sure what the sex was.

Just because a cat is fixed does not necessarily mean it doesn't spray. This is expecially the case with male cats that have already starte to spray by the time they're fixed; and have gotten into the habit of it.

With having cats, fixed, though, there is very little odor to their urine, so it's much harder to tell if a cat has sprayed or not. If the cat was an unfixed male, and had sprayed repeatedly in a spot, then your mother may have been right, as the smell of his urine (Unfixed males have a VeRy strong smell to their urine; even unfixed females can be fairly strong, especially as they come closer to heat, or are on heat) would have permeated into the carpet and or the wall. As for your fixed cats, this is not the case. Just get some Gonzo or Natures Miracle, etc (Whether in your case with fixed cats, or in another's case with entire (unfixed) cats), which has enzymes in it that nutralize the ammonia in the urine; and takes away the smell as well. When you do move, you'll probably have to shampoo the carpet with some of the enzyme solution in with the water and shampoo, in that area a few times, and scrub some of the enzyme solution on the wall (as it clears the stains, as well). Other than that, there will be no serious effects of the cats, even if they are spraying.

Try to clean the affected spot with the enzyme solution (again, gonzo, Nature's miracle, etc.), until the spot is gone. If the spot reappears, or moves to a different spot, in a few days, then there's your answer, the cat (whichever one(s) it is) is spraying. If not, then it may be something else. (Do realise, the spot, if it reappears, will most likely be in a different spot.)

Personally, though, it sounds like your mum is jumping to conclusions about the cats because she doesn't like them. See if the spots do reoccur after cleansing; either way, just ignore her statements, or if they bother you, kindly let her know that it's your house, and they're your pets, and that you love them.

I hope this helps!

Source(s): I'm a bengal cat breeder.

Yes cats do spray, the males do anyway. Sometimes even if they are fixed. Especially if there are females around and males to contend with. I believe they mark the territoty like a dog does to show ownership of certain areas and to attract the opposite sex. There are things on the market that will take care of any odor that the spray might leave,but you need to do the sniff test to be sure it is in fact spray. It should be pretty pungant. Oils, I don't know, maybe, I have three cats and haven't seen any areas like this, but if the cat is always sitting there, than it is possible.Hope this helps...

Yes, they do like to spray in the corners mine did and they are fixed too, and it's not just the male cats because the female on has done it since she was a kitten. They go to the bathroom in the litter box but like to spray everywhere else, you would be able to smell it's very strong smell. We are thinking about getting rid of our because of it too.

Even after they are spayed and neutered, they spray. My cats will do that if the neighbor's cats are in our yard. It's like they are protecting their territory or something.

There are things that you can get from the pet store that will reduce the odor and keep the cat from spraying. They hate the smell of it and will not use that area.

You can get it at Petsmart or Petco. I cannot remember the name of it, but the cats cannot stand the strong odor of it . It is gentle on carpeting and dry wall

• x

If you want to know for "sure" get a black light, (yep, they still make those) and aim it at the "spot"...

Cat urine glows under a black light... (its true)...

Then you can either prove or disprove to your mom if she is right or wrong.

But, I am willing to go with mom on this one, some people, like myself, can smell things in "parts per billions", (small minutest particles that no one else can smell, and they think your nuts cause you CAN smell it, and its a curse to have such good olfactory senses!...I know, I have a great sniffer too, and worked at a sewage plant. The boss would ask me how the "plant was" because I could usually detect things long before they even knew there was a problem).

I wish you well...

Jesse

Male cats spray to mark their territory and to repel other males, neutered or not. I don't know what test you can do for ammonia, other than a smell test ( YUCK ), but know that fixed cats still spray. Talk to your local pet store; I imagine they have a solution to your problem, as they probably get this question all the time.

Having a cat "fixed" is no guarantee that it will no longer "spray". If spraying has already become a habit of a cat before the operation, it will sometimes continue with this behaviour afterwards.

Your mam is right, if you were ever to sell the house you would have to Re-Do everything! I have no cats but as soon as I would walk into a house with cats I would smell them no matter how clean they are! Them dark spots are definetly from the cats.

Source(s): My sister had the same problem!

You can clean up cat spray with a solution of biological washing powder, but they'll just spray again to refresh the scent. So why not make them something that they can spray? Make a fake piece of wall out of plywood, cover it with carpet off cuts and put it where they like to spray.