What do you do when your neighbors keep complaining your making too much noise, when your not doing anything?

Your downstairs neighbors keep compaining that we are making too much noise and have even filed a complaint against us. We don't do anything out of the ordinary, we walk around the apartment and aren't up at crazy hours.

Favorite Answer

Get a really powerful subwoofer....find a hardwood floor in your apartment to put it on....crank up the bass

That will show them what "too much noise" really is.

I had a neighbor like that once. Let me tell you about it. I listened to my music, but not loud. They complained all the time. Even called the cops. To demonstrate how loud my music was they went into my neighbors bedroom, which was against my living room. The cops heard how loud the music was. While one stayed there the other went to my door. Upon inviting the cop in to see how loud the music was, he had to comment that it was not loud at all. The problem was with the construction of the apartments, the walls offered virtually no soundproofing at all. Once we all understood the nature of the problem we made concessions and got along much better.

It may be that you are not unreasonably loud, but circumstances can make matters worse. Instead of fighting with your neighbor, try to understand how bad the noise is in their apartment. This may help you understand the nature of the problem.

Something I've noticed is that when some people walk, they hit hard with their heel and make quite a boom and don't even realize it. To people down below the sound is amplified. My first wife had a habbit of speaking quite loudly and not even realize it while I've always spoke with just enough volume to be heard by a small group to whom I was speaking with.

There are many things we do and don't even realize it. I doubt your neighbor is complaining just to complain. There must be something to it. Try to work it out with them. If all else fails, concider moving. Maybe even to move to the first floor.

ADDITIONAL: Wow ! ! ! There are a lot of hostile answers below. A few good answers, but I would advise taking a kinder approach. Starting a war only means casualties. If you make bitter enemies of them then they may "Put a subwoofer" against the celing and drive you crazy.

It never works to try to out do the other person. You may win the battle but at a very high cost. It could end up in court and someone could be fined. Since you are the accused of being too noisy and they've filed other complaints YOU WILL LOOSE. Don't fight with them, it's a no win situation.

Move out of the apartment and get a house. I used to live in an apartment and it's hard to be the down stairs neighbors. Even though you are walking normally it still bangs. I was just understanding to that. Though when it hit about 10pm and they were up about vacuming etc... I would go up there and ask them to quiet down for the evening. I had a newborn at time.

• ?

Sit down and talk with them about what it is that is bothering them. What types of noises are they finding so bothersome and when are the noises happening. It may not even be something you are aware you're doing. Or they may just need to be a little less sensitive. Maybe if you were on friendlier terms then your little noises would be less trouble for them.

If you haven't already, put carpeting down with a good thick padding underneath in the room where you spend most of your time, that should muffle the noise. Take a look at your lease - you may be required to do this under the lease.

Seems to me that your neighbors are the type of people who need to live on the top floor. Only old people or people with small children should live on the bottom. Children make to much noise and old people can't hear the people up stairs.

That's so unfair!

Maybe you should install a video camera and have it run for a few days. Then next time this neighbor complains, bring the evidence with you to prove that you have done nothing wrong.

Good luck!

Give them a taste of their own medicine! If you are telling the truth they clearly have no evidence! File a complaint against them!

may be they have psychological problems.this question actually is not stupid.many people tend to share their dissatisfaction outside thier home.

this happens alot also in science and politics.

to adress such complaints,one should find the real source of anxiety of complaining party.

Every weekend invite a rock band to create mayhem in your flat. Then they 'll learnalesson