What is a quadroon?

Some guy asked me if I was one and I didnt know what a quadroon was , I think it could be spelt qadrune maybe , I dunno.

Favorite Answer

Quadroon describes a person with one quarter African or black ancestry. It is a term derived from the Spanish language word cuarterón, from cuarto, "quarter", from Latin quartus. It commonly refers to a person with 3 European or white grandparents and one African grandparent. This term is considered obsolete and is no longer in general use, as is the term octoroon, which was formerly used in American English to mean "a person whose ancestry is seven-eighths white and one-eighth black".

This was part of a race classification used primarily in the Southern United States in the 19th century.

Quadroons were considered "colored" and often subject to slavery in the colonial era. Famous quadroons include the French writer Alexandre Dumas, Russian writer Aleksandr Pushkin and American singer Mariah Carey

Quadroon Celebrities

In the bad old days, southerners had specific words to describe the amount of white and black mix of a person's heritage. "Mulatto" meant 50/50, "quadroon" meant 25/75, and "octaroon" -- without a calculator -- one-eighth black and seven-eighths white. There was, of course, no corresponding term for seven-eighths black; that was just black, although they used the "n" word, typically.

The system failed almost as soon as it was developed, because of 3/8ths, etc. It's all obsolete language now, anyway, when few people other than Alex Hailey can trace all branches of their family tree back very much further than grandparents.

Source(s): The spell-checker doesn't even know quadroon and octaroon.

Quadroon is merely a term to describe Mixed-Race people who are specifically one fourth Black and three fourths White (Mulatto parent and white parent).

And take it from a Quadroon herself: it is NOT A BAD OR OFFENSIVE TERM! I come from that type of racially mixed background and along with terms like "Biracial", "Mixed", or "Mulatto", I interchange with the term Quadroon as well to describe myself. I feel it is an historically rich term that is not as vague as simply "mixed". "Mixed" can mean an Eskimo/Pakistani person, and I am not that. When I say I am a Quadroon, that instantly links to me generations past of other Mixed-Race people as well as historical figures who share my racial background. So again, it is NOT an offensive term. No one ever used the term "Quadroon" as a racial slur against anyone. It has never been that. Just another racial term like "Black", "Chinese", or "Puerto Rican", etc.

Source(s): This is a letter I wrote about this very topic on a Biracial-oriented listserve I co-own: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/american_internation...

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What is a quadroon?

Source(s): quadroon: https://tr.im/rCRs3

Quadroon is someone with one-quarter african blood.

quadroon

well quad drives from the number 4 so it would most likly have somthing to do with 4 of what ever it is .

1/4 black person is a quadron

1/2 black person is molotto(thats me)

1/8 black person is an octoron

no joke

tiz true!