So how do I really get rid of my hiccups then?

A hiccup seems to start while eating causing a spasm preventing the swallowing of food, liquid (even saliva) and can last for many hours before suddenly ending without warning. . .
Update: Most replies have involved drinking or eating something. this is exactly what I cannot do. I can be in complete spasm for up to 7 hours and even a small sip of water cannot be swallowed or even a single drop of saliva which must be expelled every few moments. Any attempt to drink water causes me to almost drown. I... show more Most replies have involved drinking or eating something. this is exactly what I cannot do. I can be in complete spasm for up to 7 hours and even a small sip of water cannot be swallowed or even a single drop of saliva which must be expelled every few moments. Any attempt to drink water causes me to almost drown. I must wait till the spasm ends. I am better now at relaxing but first must bring up every trace of food left that has not been swallowed.