Will my root canal hurt if I put it off for a year already and the tooth is already dead?

My tooth is dead already..I don't feel any pain but my cousin (who is a dentist) said my tooth is still infected. Will it hurt because I put it off for so long? Or will it not hurt since my tooth and possibly my nerves are dead already? Also, someone told me if I put it off I might get Asses...or whatever... show more My tooth is dead already..I don't feel any pain but my cousin (who is a dentist) said my tooth is still infected. Will it hurt because I put it off for so long? Or will it not hurt since my tooth and possibly my nerves are dead already?
Also, someone told me if I put it off I might get Asses...or whatever scary disease that is...is it true?!! The reason I put it off for so long is because my tooth doesnt hurt and so I lost the courage to go get it checked.
thank u!