Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

Should Antarctica be mined for its resources? Why or why not?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Permanent settlement of Antarctica is inevitable. There will be at least a million people living there by 2060. The will to multiply and spread, contained in our every living cell, demands this. Whether or not we should mine it (we should) is moot. It will be mined. The real question is when does Antarctica become a self-sustaining, self-governing nation? What philosophical model will prevail in this rich new land? The future of the human race depends on the outcome.

• 1 decade ago

If we can do it without endangering people's lives, yes. It is tough to battle the subzero weather of Antarctica, so if we have to put a lot of people down there to mine, then it is probably not a good idea, but if we can find a way to create an area with a controlled climate or just have machines mine it, we should use the resources. The fact is, natural resources exist for our purposes. If we don't use them, there is no point in even having them in the first place.

• 1 decade ago

it could be mined and it won't be mined because of the harsh weather conditions moreover, Antarctica is one of the only places in the world that not been touched or exploited by humans

• 1 decade ago

I think we should. I don't think that any area should be off bounds for resources. If we drilled for more oil here in the U.S., we wouldn't need the middle east. I also believe that if we mine Antartica, we should work to preserve the environment as much as possible.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It should be. It's a waste of natural resources to be sitting there. It's not like the penguins use it.

• gin
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

not at all we have ripped the soul out of earth as it is with our greed for more...leave the world in peace let it heal itself before we have nothing left besides wot would happen to the penguins?

• 1 decade ago

whether it should or shouldn't be - the need for these resources will mean that it will be

• 1 decade ago

I shoul be but it is easier said than done

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

nope

Source(s): Jimmy
  • 1 decade ago

Not unless we have to.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.