sha4marx asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Do i cut my dogs whiskers?

I was asked why i didn't cut off my labs whiskers. Don't they need those? I know cats do, but what about dogs.

It was suggested by a dog breeder.

Favorite Answer

breeders cut whiskers to make the cut look better overall for competitions and photoshoots etc.

if your pet is not for anything other than a friendly companion then you might consider not cutting it at all, as many others have said they're used for balance. and for dogs, they act as sensors to tell a dog how wide somewhere is so that they'll learn to go in a small area or not depending on the size. the best thing is to leave them, but if while cutting around the eyes (such as my shih-tzu needs daily cutting of hair around his eyes) and you accidentally cut off a whisker or two, not a big deal. i heard that they grow back, just a little slower than normal hair.

hope that helps.

• faim

Dog Whiskers

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awixr

Sure no worries. All show dogs have their cut off also. Oh! Your dad is right! dogs whiskers are not the same as a cats. Dogs don't use them to feel their way around things.

The whiskers on both cats and dogs are very sensitive to the air currents and vibrations around them - enabling them to hunt and play. Dogs will react when anything is brushed up against their whiskers because it causes the whiskers to vibrate - so they use the vibrations to detect the presence, size and shape of the object nearby. Whiskers also help in protecting the eyes - any touch to the whiskers causes the eyelids to blink. Some people do cut their dog's whiskers for show purposes, but it can impair their ability to play and hunt.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Do i cut my dogs whiskers?

Source(s): cut dogs whiskers: https://shortly.im/oOQEi

in all honesty, dogs do not need their whiskers unless they're a permanent outside dog that hunts for food (which i don't know of many!). in fact, smaller breeds that get regular hair cuts (such as schnauzers or cockers) get their whiskers shaved off with the hair cut. it doesn't affect them at all.

Hope this helps!

I have no idea why a breeder would recommend you cut the whiskers off. The way I see it, if it's not broken, don't fix it. Dogs do use their whiskers to a limited extent to "feel" the world around them. However just trimming them wouldn't hurt them. As stated by another member, schnauzers, poodles, and malteses get their whiskers cut off all the time by breeders, and they still have their sense of balance. However DO NOT pluck them. This causes the dog a lot of pain. If you want to get rid of them, trim them. Just be careful not to trim their lips on accident.

Hi, I understand that you are looking for some advice or resources to help fully train your dog or fix behavior problems. If a professional dog trainer is not an option at this time, or if you want to trt training your dog on your own (a great way to bond), I'd suggest you https://biturl.im/aU0Ds

A friend recommened it to me a few years ago, and I was amazed how quickly it worked, which is why I recommend it to others. The dog training academy also has as an excellent home training course.

Dont cut the whiskers, especially with cats. If you cut the whiskers of a cat, it will ruin their sense of balance, not a good idea. I have never heard of having to cut the whiskers of an animal.

i have groomed for 16 yrs.i know not to cut cat whiskers, but the dog? i have poodles and the get their faces shaved..... and they are fine,, i have customers that want the whiskers trimmed , i have customers that have shihtzu's and want the face shaved....this is really the first i have heard of this, not shaving a dogs whiskers. guess everyone has an opinion.