Why do Koreans like eating hot, spicy food?

What is the history of the Korean foodline which led them to eating what we know today as really hot, spicy food such as Kim Chi and other exotic dishes which are just as spicy? Was there a reason to why they are accustomed to adapting spiciness into almost all their dishes?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Cultures in tropical regions eat spicy food because it makes them sweat and sweating cools them off. Also, because historically spices were used to preserve food in hot climates. That's why all the countries with spicy food are close to the equator (Thailand, India, the Caribbean...)

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Source(s): Perfect Paleo Recipes Cookbook : http://PaleoCookbook.raiwi.com/?Ebhm
  • 3 years ago

Hot Koreans

• 6 years ago

Also, like any other spicy food in any culture, spices not only enhance the taste of bland foods they quell hunger and release natural pain killing endorphins into the bloodstream to ease the pain and give a sense of euphoria once the burn is gone.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

There are two kinds of kimchi. The winter kimchi is buried in a ceramic crock underground, when the ground is frozen, so it will last a long time. (Very little rural electrification, especially in North Korea.)

Summer kimchi is also buried. However, since the ground isn't frozen in the summertime, it ferments. This means it winds up smelling like the dumpster behind a produce stand in August. Yet, many poverty stricken folk in Korea eat the stuff. The hot spices are probably to disguise the odor. Me, I'd rather go on a zero calorie diet.

• 4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avPM2

hmm.i'm indonesian. and most of indonesian food are spicy. and some of them are hot too.just like indian food. ps: i also like hot korean ramen. tastyyy. :)

• 1 decade ago

The Korean civilization is very old. To preserve food before refrigeration, spices were used to kill the taste and Kim chee is fermented. They grew to like the taste.

My husband was stationed in Korea and loves their food. I like the less spicy recipes but not kim chee.

• ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Good question! I am Korean but cannot answer this one for you. Kimchi is really good though! :)

EDIT:

Not just poor people in Korea eat kimchi, most Korean people do.

• 1 decade ago

cold weather in korea make them eat hot spicy food and its easy for bowel movement. i think they also produce spicy products more than they need it.

• 1 decade ago

they like a whole lot of other things jus as HOT too... ;->

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.