Does the President stop flights into the airports he flies into?

I have heard that when the President flies into an airport he stops all air traffic to that airport for about two hours before and after his flight. Is this true? Is this something that other Presidents have done?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I live near a major airport in Florida. Whenever Air Force One comes to our airport, the whole airport shuts down. They even close down the entire freeway for miles in either direction while the presidential motorcade makes its way to wherever.

All this security has to be terribly expensive, not to mention the inconvenience to the locals. Maybe it would better if the President spend more time at the White House and less time buzzing around from town to town.

I don't seem much difference between the Bush and Clinton administration in this area, except Mr Bush comes to Florida more often, having relatives here.

• 1 decade ago

Yes, it's true. Much to the annoyance of the travelling public. And here's a real kick in the teeth: If you miss your connection because of it, the airlines won't comp you a hotel room as it was beyond their control. Just like getting weathered in.

• 1 decade ago

OH YES COUNT ON IT....Where Bush goes, airports close

• 1 decade ago

yes. he usually has marines or the army lock the place down. but he does not often check into public airports.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I think the President has his own private plane protected by the military.

• our current President DOES have his own plane-problem is it doesn't have all the extra security material the ACTUAL AIR FORCE ONE has built into it. Otherwise the people who'd like to do him harm would try it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes that is very true

• Beckee
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I'm fairly sure he has people who do it for him.

• 1 decade ago

really never heard of that

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.