how much would a real star sapphire set in white gold ring retail for? remember star sapphire is not synthetic

i bought this ring off my mother who paid over a hundred dollars for it back in the seventies. i bought it for my girlfriend and just wanted to know what i would have actualy paid for it in the store....this IS NOT A SYNTHETIC GEM it is a true real authentic star sapphire. the white gold band is plain and i believe is 14kt so yea 14kt whilte gold band with an authentic star sapphire. any clue how much it would retail for?

• lb2k
    Favorite Answer

Where I work, we judge star stones using several guidelines. Here are some that may help you judge the value of your stone:

Color - What color is your star sapphire? Blues are most valuable. There are also fancy colored ones like pink, green, grey, black etc. Those are less valued than blues. Whatever it is - is the color saturated? Is the tone balanced? Is the physical distribution of color even or is there color zoning?

Clarity - Is the material relatively clean or are there visible inclusions? Where are they located? Are they obvious or subtle? Do they affect durability? Is the material semi-transparent, translucent, semi-translucent or opaque?

Cut - Is the cabachon balanced? Or is it lop-sided? Is it top-heavy or just right? Is it well-polished?

Star - Is the star sharp? Are all the legs present and complete? Is it centered?

Size/Carat - Large sized stones of good quality over 5cts are rare and therefore more valuable!

My experience...I sold a top quality 10.74 carat Blue Star Sapphire last year. It was perfectly round, although a little heavy on the bottom. Pure blue color with no greys. Good saturation with a medium tone. Translucent. Clarity was good. Superb finish. US$14K. And that was already considered a reasonable price.

Pricing a stone is very. very complicated. However, as a very very rough estimate - an average stone of under 5 cts may sell for $60-300/ct per carat (varying widely from stone to stone and location to location).

If you send me a clear photo of your stone, I can help make a gauge as to whether your stone is valuable or not. If you don't have photos, use the guidelines I've given you and check a copy of the Guide - which gives you american wholesale prices of all stones.

Source(s): Me: I'm a gemologist & part-time gem dealer
    • kris t6 years agoReport

I have a blue star sapphire ring and earring set and would like to know the value if you could contact me please at kristdd@yahoo.com or 5125684638 thank you kristin

• coby

Blue Star Sapphire

Star Sapphire Ring

• ?

You are not stating who big it is. A 1/4-1/2 ct would retail for around 300-600. 1/2-1ct would be 600-1100. Now this is an estimate. The price is more expensive the bluer the stone. The black sapphires are less expensive and the blue colors are pricier. If you have a royal blue color you are in for a real treat. Those are the best! A 1 carat can sell for upwards to 2000! But if she bought it in 1970 I would not think it would be this much. Prices do not fluctuate that much over the years. At the most, it would probaly be worth 400-500 in todays standards

Source(s): Certified Gemologist

RE:

i bought this ring off my mother who paid over a hundred dollars for it back in the seventies. i bought it for my girlfriend and just wanted to know what i would have actualy paid for it in the store....this IS NOT A SYNTHETIC GEM it is a true real authentic star sapphire. the white gold band is...

Source(s): real star sapphire set white gold ring retail remember star sapphire synthetic: https://trimurl.im/b9/how-much-would-a-real-star-s...

Take it to a jeweler and ask. You don't have to be selling for a quick appraisal. Value depends on a lot of things including shape size and quality.

As for whosyourdaddy who seems to have dived off the deep end of the mental ward, you have been reported for your non-answer.

Wholesaler of White Gold filler rhodium custom made rings and other fashion jewelry at affordable pricing. visit fashionjewelrynewyork.com for the best collection.