Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 decade ago

What is a good beginner's motorcycle?

I don't even have a license yet. Taking a class this summer. What would be a good, decently priced, not crotchrocket but more cruiser type bike to get? What would you recommend to a beginner?

Favorite Answer

I'm in the same spot as you, so let me tell you my experience. I'm just learning (currently 3 lessons courtesy of my husband who owns a Honda Interceptor), and I'm signed up for a Motorcycle Saftey Course at the end of May. I have my learners permit, but have never ridden before.

I first bought a Honda Shadow VLX600 about 3 weeks ago because it was gorgeous and looked like the HD Sportster for half the price. The Honda Shadow is a cruiser, and for me @ 5'4", 140 lbs, found it to be really top heavy. It was harder for a beginner like me to maneuver around tight corners - especially taking off out of them like in parking lots. I came to a quick stop during my 3rd practice, and tipped over because the front end flopped left, and rolled out from under me. I of course jumped back up and got right back on, but it taught me a most valueable lesson - never buy a bike by it's looks only. Sit on it, tip it, roll it, ride the parking lot, but buy a bike that fits you. You'll be a lot safer.

I promptly took the bike back and bought a Buell Blast instead. It's not a crotch rocket for sure, but the front wheel rake isn't as steep as a cruiser. The handle bar length is somewhere between a cruiser and a crotch rocket and is a very comfortable reach for me. It's 100 lbs lighter than the Honda, and the front end is very stable. I can take corners with no problem. It's also the bike they use for several training classes in my area. The clutch isn't as forgiving as the Honda, but I'll get used to it as I would any other. Only downside for me so far is that it rattles quite a bit on idle.

I may outgrow it at some point, but I can see that it will help me to build my confidence. It does highway speeds and will be a great leisure bike until I grow out of it...if I ever do.

Price - I found the 2005 Honda Shadow with 73 miles on it for $4700 (someone bought it and returned it), and bought the 2003 Buell Blast with 8 miles on it for $2600 (it had never sold off the showroom floor). Check with several of your local dealers for bargains like this. They won't be out on the sales floor, but if you ask, they'll take you to the goodies in the back! Good luck and safe riding!

Yeah, a pocket bike? Get real.

I don't know, but I will tell you what I have and maybe that will help you. I just started riding 8 months ago. My first bike, unfortunatley, was an automatic. But it was good because I got used to the traffic and city and avoiding danger etc without having to worry about stalling and turning while clutching and poppin or forgetting the clutch if I was nervous. My energy was focused on the road and how to concentrate on what was around me. 78 CB400A. Vintage bikes are cool. And tall.Which I like.

Now I have an 85 Suzuki Intruder. The newer cruiser bikes have such fat tanks, Didn't think I would like that. This one is thin and light. It's a 750, which I think now would be just fine as a first bike too. It's not too much power or anything. I had to relearn that clutch a little, but I already have fairly good road instints built up, so it was easy as pie.

What is a 125 going to do on the street? I don't think that is safe.

400cc to 800cc should be fine.

Ride your own ride.

It all depends on what you are planning on doing AFTER a few months. Most people if they are planning on riding (instead of just commuting in-town all the time), feel most comfortable on something in the 650 range or higher. Anything less might leave you feeling underpowered for country road/highway speeds. Before you jump in and buy a bike, get the course done and that will get you started as to what size you might want to look for. Sit on as many different bikes in showrooms and find a frame size that you like, some are wider, some top heavier....find one that YOU like and plan to use it for a while, not just for the short term.

Try underbone-type motorcycles, such as Yamaha Sniper 135cc or Honda Wave 125cc. They are featured into: 1) clutch-types, 2) 4-speed constant mesh rotary type - meaning no clutch lever is necessary to upshift / downshift, but not exactly automatic. These bikes are easy to handle & customize, and the good thing is: they run on average of 65 km. per liter of fuel, and they have a max speed of 120 - 135 km/hr.

hi, i would recommend that you go with a Yamaha v-star 650. If you have a personal preference of brands i would go with something along that size. Or you could just go down to your local bike dealer and tell them your looking for a good beginner bike.

Check out the Buell Blast. Its a very manueverable easy to learn and handle 500cc bike. More entry level training is done on this bike than any other.

Get a pocket bike. They don't go fast enough to get into real trouble, and when you fall off, you're already close to the ground. They are easy to park and don't take up much space in the garage, too.

Check out www.johnnypag.com

There's a good starter bike.

• Seerin

depends on the money you want to put in it, but cheap:Kawasaki 400, 440, en500, if you got money then Honda 600, yamaha 650 vstar

the best beginners motorcycle is a Honda because it is a simple motorcycle