Weber
Weber asked in HealthGeneral Health Care · 1 decade ago

is cocaine ever used during sinus surgery? they found cocaine in my blood and i do not use it. ??

i had surgery on my spenoid sinus two days ago. i woke up this morning (4-22-06) and was told by my surgeon to go the the ER. i went and they found cocaine in my system. i *never* use cocaine. i don't even drink caffeine. i have a seizure disorder and stay away from any type of stimulant. i do know the surgeon used a "numbing agent" for my sinuses after they put me to sleep for surgery. do surgeons use cocaine in surgery? i have no idea how cocaine could have gotten in my body!

worried...

i don't know how to answer the replies i've gotten. someone asked me why i went to the ER. i was told to go because i was vomitting violently which isn't good after having a surgery in my head...the pressure can cause bleeding. they need to tell a person if they are going to use even a derivative of cocaine that would show up on a blood test. i am angry and am feeling very sick. when the doctor told me there was cocaine in my blood test, it was like a punch in the gut.

a patient should know if they are being subjected to a drug like this! especially when i have hypertension and seizures.

ohhh i'm ticked! this is the only way it could have gotten in my body. i don't do drugs. :( how embarrassing.

to follow up...i went to see my surgeon for my follow up. when he left the room i looked at the report..and there it was! 4% cocaine.

wow.

i wish i would have been told because of my hypertension and seizures.

oh well, it all turned out fine. at least they didn't have law enforcement come talk to me. that would have really flipped me out!

thank you so much for the answers. problems solved. oh! another thing i learned is that tylenol 3 (with codeine) can also produce a falst positive for cocaine testing.

Best Answer

Yes it is used in hospitals... see below!

GENERIC NAME: COCAINE HYDROCHLORIDE - TOPICAL (KOE-kane)

Medication Uses | How To Use | Side Effects | Precautions | Drug Interactions | Overdose | Notes | Missed Dose | Storage

USES: Cocaine is used as a local anesthetic to temporarily numb areas of the mouth, nose, and throat (mucous membranes).

HOW TO USE: This medication is applied directly to the inside of the mouth, nose, or throat. The dosage depends on your condition and response to the drug. Do not use by vein (IV) or in the eye. Follow all instructions for proper use. Consult your pharmacist for details. When used for extended periods, this medication may not work as well and may require different dosing. Consult the doctor if the medication is not working well. Use this medication exactly as prescribed. Do not increase your dose, take it more frequently, or use for a longer period of time than prescribed because this drug can be habit-forming. Also, if used for a longer period of time, do not stop using this drug without your doctor's approval.

SIDE EFFECTS: Nausea, nervousness, and restlessness may occur. If this effect persists or worsens, notify your doctor promptly. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these serious side effects occur: mental/mood changes, loss of smell or taste. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: trouble breathing, chills, fever, unusually fast or slow heartbeat, chest pain, tremors, fainting. Tell your doctor immediately if any of these highly unlikely but very serious side effects occur: seizures, vision problems (e.g., blurred vision, hallucinations, sensitivity to light). If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

PRECAUTIONS: Tell your doctor your medical history, especially of: high blood pressure, heart disease, thyroid problems (e.g., hyperthyroid), seizures, infections, sores or trauma in the area of the application site (e.g., mouth, nose, throat), any allergies. This medication should be used with caution in children because they may be more sensitive to side effects (e.g., mental/ mood changes). This medication should be used with caution in the elderly because they may be more sensitive to side effects (e.g., mental/ mood changes). This medication should be used only when clearly needed during pregnancy. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor. This drug is excreted into breast milk. Because of the potential risk to the infant, breast-feeding while using this drug is not recommended. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.

• Slava

Uh, hellooo, cocaine is a stimulant, and yes, you can bet money on that being the reason you went into pre-term labor. Anything, ANYTHING that goes into your body goes into your baby's body. So, when you are doing cocaine, your baby is coming along for the ride. If your baby is born before they reach 25 weeks gestation, they will most likely die. So the first question you have to ask yourself is what is more important: your high, or your baby's life? It's time to make some big-girl choices. But you do not have to this alone. Talk to your doctor honestly. They've seen worse cases than yours, believe me. The most tragic thing is when the addicted Mom doesn't think she needs help. There is help to get you and your baby through this pregnancy safely. But you have to stop using. You just got a second chance. When your baby is born, a urine drug screen will tell them if any drugs are in your baby's system. And the hospital is required to report it, it's a state mandate. You will have follow-up with a community agency, most likely Child Protective Services, to make sure that you and the baby are doing okay, and you have what you need. If you show you are doing everything you can for your baby, they are on your side. It can be a rude awakening to be forced over the line from childhood to adulthood. But here you are. I wish you and your baby all the best.

Why Is Cocaine Used

there is apossiblity that cocaine was used as the local anesthetic in your surgery, it is also a very distinct possibility that the bloody test came out wrong! even if a given test is 99% accurate, statistically at least one false result in a hundred will occur- and other substances can cross react giving false test results- if you have any contact with law enforcment over this DO NOT answer any questions without a lawyer present! the police may try to question you without, but respectfully decline to answer ANY questions without a lawyer, no matter what they might say to you. and make bloody damned sure that your doctor either did or did not use cocaine in the procedure- if he did as a surgeon it was under medical care and therefore legal- if not and you don't use, the test was crapped up!

I work at a drug rehab and our doctor has told me no drug ending in cane (novacaine, lidocaine or many of the other etc.) will ever make you test positive for cocaine other than the actual drug itself. I drug test people every day for our residential program and they frequently deny the results of their tests.

why would they be testing you for cocaine?

why did your surgeon tell you to go to the ER?

this sounds fishy to me

they use several drugs to numb you that are in the same family and will cause you to fail your drug test. get a note from your doctor.

i have heard but now i have seen the site that says that it is used. but when i first heard i did not think it was like that. i thought it was a joke.

popy seeds have a trace of cocaine in it but thats it

no they don't use it any more but some of the other stuff they used could show up as cocaine