Haris
Lv 4
Haris asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 decade ago

Do anesthetized people feel anything, in terms of dreaming, of knowing they're alive, etc.?

Do anesthetized people feel anything, in terms of dreaming, of knowing they're alive, etc. like we do when we are sleeping. Hence, when we dream and are attacked (in our dream), we tend to wake up out of fear or leap and spring suddenly in sleep - do people who are anesthetized feel like they're in a sleep, and hence is there a chance they might "thus" wake up or if not wake up - move their body involuntarily? Also, what about the one in a COMA?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Garth
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Anesthesia "sleep" is a drug-induced state of unconsciousness. It is not like normal sleep. Under full general anesthesia there is no dreaming. However, some people do dream while under anesthesia; this is because most surgeries are not under "full general", but rather a nerve block, a spinal, an epidural or local anesthetic, along with intra-venous sedatives. Some patients will report having pleasant dream-like experiences with these medications. In a UK study, 2.7% of patients rememberd dreaming while "under". They will not wake up, nor will they move any part of their body, as the anesthesia has stopped the ability for any physical reflex that is not autonomic (body functions such as heart rate or bloo pressure).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I have been anesthesized quite a few times in my life and you go under and seem to wake up the same time with no recollection of anything ,and always suprised that a 3 hour operation or what ever has already happened.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think anasthesia affects the sodium influx of some of your neouron inhibiting it from transmitting signals to other neurons and somehow that affects our ability to store memory. I guess you probably do dream but cant remember anything once it wears off.

• 1 decade ago

when i was anesthetized for surgery i didnt dream at all. when you are under they give you enough to make sure you stay asleep

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

They put me under i lost a week.

• 1 decade ago

no normal sense they may only dream

• 1 decade ago

I HAVE BEEN A COUPLE OF TIMES AND I FELT NOTHING AND NO DREAMS OR ANYTHING

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.