what is the best breed of horse to own if u have never owned a horse before?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If you want to enjoy long bounce-free trail rides, a Peruvian Paso is the best!

If you are interested in rodeo games, select a Quarter Horse.

Arabians dominate in the endurance category...however, either of the above breeds can be used without a problem, if you take the time to condition them.

Source(s): http://www.peruvian-pasos.com htp://www.aqha.com
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Research all the breeds then pick the horse that fits your personality. There are good and bad in each breed whether it is Arabian, Thoroughbred or Quarter Horses.

Have someone with horse experience go with you and ALWAYS get a vet check! This is where the vet does an exam to make sure the horse is sound, and healthy. It'll save you a lot of money down the road!

Also decide what discipline you want to learn. English, Western, trail riding, gaming, jumping etc. That will also help guide you to the right breed of horse. Good luck!

Source(s): Owned by a horse!
  • 1 decade ago

It all really depends on what you want to do with the horse, and who would be riding if someone would even be riding it.

A Quarter Horse is a good werstern competion and pleasure horse with a sweet attitude and williness to learn, sorta like a lab in dogs.

A Shetland Pony is a good first horse for a child for pleasure and competion in hunters, also sweet and loving but sometimes moody.

A Lippizaner is a good choice if you plan to get into dressage, with beauty and grace are simply georgus but sometimes will cost a pretty penny, I don't know to much about thier attidude though.

A Paint is a good coice for pleasure and relaxing on the ranch as well as western compitetion, sweet and kind a good childrens horse.

A Warmblood of any type is usally good for show jumping and is also very pretty, but agian probably cost a little bit of money and agina i'm not to keen on thier personalities.

A Thoroughbred is a good horse for racing, but also good and even tempered but can have alot of energy and want to run.

Last an Arabian is a geourges horse, called the most beatiful, but has a stubborn attitube often though its not true with all of them can be sweet and used in dressage, hunters, and even pleasure.

For age of your horse if its your first i suggest a horse over 16 unless you have alot of riding expierence. And make sure you fins a good farm so you know exactly what kind of horse your getting you don't wanna see a beatiful horse and jump and buy it with only seeing it once, because it might turn out to be a monster, ;), also make sure you know of any health problem or if anythings common to the breed your getting because you don't want to have to pay lots of money for an ill horse all the time, unless you intend to be a shelter of some sort.

Well, I hope this helps you in your horse buying ventures!:)

• 1 decade ago

There is no best breed. Each horse is different. I've seen some QH's that were near impossible to work with and some TB's that were the most mellow horses in the barn. Look for a horse that is an easy keeper with no vices...sound and sane. If you connect with one horse..no matter the breed...that's the one you want.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

quarter horse, they are the most all around breed of horse that i know of they have great short distance speed, they are great for riding on the trail. they are my favorite choice. but it really matters on what you like. it doesn't really matter on the breed much just as long as the horse is big enough for you and you and the horse seem to "connect"

• 1 decade ago

It really depends on the particular horse and not the breed. I like arabians because they can be really sweet around people but they have spirit. I have had good Quarter horses and bad quarter horses. It's all in their temperament.

• 1 decade ago

I would have to say a Quarter horse. They are laid back horses and they axcel in about any discipline. They are also great performance horses. They also have a wide range of heights. Great for begginers!

Source(s): AQHA breeder
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

A quarter horse, definitely!!! The quarter is sensible, intelligent, layed-back and very caring. They are the Cadillac of all horses!

Source(s): Have ridden and been around horses since the age of 5 and currently own a horse farm where we only deal in quarter horses and miniatures, and burrows, and alpacas........ well, you get the gist. I'm an avid animal person!!!!!!!!
  • 1 decade ago

I myself prefure the smaller quarterhorse but any horse would be a good choice for your first time horse as long as you take care of it

• iceni
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Quarter horses are a good place to start. They are usually pretty calm, and average size. You will be more able to concentrate on developing your riding skills until you are ready to move on to bigger and better things

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.