Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesGMC · 1 decade ago

I've heard that GM owns part of Toyota, is this true?

because if it is, then the better Toyota does, the better GM does, right? i know toyota made some cars for GM, like some Geo's and stuff, but does GM own part of them?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Joint ventures only, GM owns no part of Toyota, Toyota makes or made the Pontiac Vibe, Chevy and Geo Prizm, Chevy Nova, GM makes or made the Toyota Caviler and designed the Toyota Voltz for sale in the Japanese market.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I can't believe people would still say NO when the truth is right in front of them...YES GM and TOYOTA work together you can call them "sister" company's...as a master L1 certified ASE Tech I can say YES..I have ordered parts for a CHEVY PRISM "yes do a search for it its not GEO Anymore) from a Toyota dealer...And ordered parts for a Toyota from a GM dealer...Don't get me wrong either These parts ARE O.E.M. Numbers that BOTH car makers use.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

NO. General Motors Corporation and Toyota Motor Corporation have had JVs in the past but neither have a stake in the other. As a matter of fact in a couple of years Toyota may displace GMC as the No.1 in sales across the world.

• 1 decade ago

Absolutely not. In fact, GM's current financial crisis is due in large part by their unexplainable need to try to control a higher market share of vehicles sold than Toyota. Sadly, this has turned into a reality where they are about to be overtaken in the U.S. market as #1 BY Toyota.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

"New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc.(NUMMI) is the pioneering joint venture of General Motors Corporation and Toyota Motor Corporation. Established in Fremont, California, in 1984, NUMMI helped change the automobile industry by introducing the Toyota Production System and a teamwork-based working environment to the United States."

• 1 decade ago

No- the only car that is made by Toyota is the Pontiac Vibe- it is actually the "same" car as the Toyota Matrix.

• 1 decade ago

No. GM does not own toyota. They do however own many auto makes including ISUZU.

• 1 decade ago

yes. geo cars have a chevy logo in the emblem and they have toyota motors so they have to be connected how came anyone say no.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes its true, but i dont get it GM and Toyota(Japanies cars)

• 1 decade ago

No, Toyota is Japanese, GM is American, they cannot be connected in any way.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.