katie asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

what is in the briefcase in pulp fiction?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Tarentino has said that he would never reveal what is in the case, because he wanted viewers to decide for themselves, which gives creedence to the "McGuffin" idea.

I, however, subscribe to the "Marcellus Wallace's Soul" theory, which goes like this:

The men in the hotel room that Jules and Vincent kill made a deal with Marcellus for his soul (they would have been agents of the devil), and Marcellus initially agreed. His soul was taken out through the back of his neck, which is why we see a band-aid on Marcellus in the first scene he has with Bruce Willis. Marcellus either changes his mind about it, or else feels he has been cheated, so he sends out his two "Guardian Angels" to recover his soul. They find the briefcase (which has the combination "666"), but are nearly killed when a man hiding in the bathroom (Alexis Arquette, now on The Surreal Life) empties a six-shooter at them from point blank range. Miraculously, neither man is hit. Vincent thinks that this is just a freak occurrance, but Jules is convinced that it is the work of God. He retires from his life of crime immediately after delivering Marcellus' soul back to him. Vincent continues as a hitman, and is killed in his very next assignment. So maybe Jules was right?

Truthfully, Tarentino probably didn't intend ANY of this, but I like it so much, I tell it to everyone who will listen.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

It's a plot device called a McGuffin. It's been used in other shows. The idea is that you imagine the most profound thing and think that it's in the briefcase. That way you're not disappointed.

• umwut?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

That was never revealed in the movie. The only thing we see is something glowing from the briefcase.

We can only speculate. Gold? A lightbulb? Something "godly"?

• 1 decade ago

They never showed it. It is a mystery that Q Tarentino left unanswered. But it is not money or drugs because it gave off a golden glow. possibly a golden artifact.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

There are lots of theories. The most common one is Marcellus' soul.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'm with the whole Marcellus's soul theroy too. It makes sense when you watch it then

• 1 decade ago

The Holy Grail or Plutonium, depending on how you look at it.

• 1 decade ago

The winner of american idols head

• 1 decade ago

A soul.

• 1 decade ago

the holy grail

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.