In India the moon appears to be lying in the sky like a bowl sitting on a table rather than on end? Why?

A little boy who was with us from Iceland commented " Mommy the moon fell down". He had just been reading a book abo0ut the man on the moon and of course the man was reposing on the moon like an upright chair. I've noticed this phenomenon before on previous trips. Instead of waxing through the month... show more A little boy who was with us from Iceland commented " Mommy the moon fell down". He had just been reading a book abo0ut the man on the moon and of course the man was reposing on the moon like an upright chair. I've noticed this phenomenon before on previous trips. Instead of waxing through the month growing larger sideways, it grows up! It looks really odd to a Canadian and I love to look at the stars so I notice. I've looked an astrology sights but found nothing. Since it's still inthe northern hemisphere, I couldn't figure out why the strange position in the sky. Any star experts out there? Thanks.