scabs32 asked in SportsOther - Sports · 1 decade ago

What is the best training schedule for a mini marathon (5k)?

I"ve been training 3 times a week 6.3miles each time since January, with strength training in between, I've registered for a race on the 29th April, should I be doing more?

95 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Your training schedule will be divided into 16 weeks. The schedule assumes that you've been running at least 12-15 miles a week for several weeks.

KEY :

R: Rest day. Do no running or other strenuous physical activity.

EZ: An easy or recovery run done at a comfortable pace.

XT: Cross training that can include any one of a number of low-impact sports (i.e. bicycling, swimming, hiking, exercise machines, weight training) that burn calories and provide cardiovascular benefits while giving you a physical and mental break from running.

LSD: Long, slow distance runs of 1 1/2 to 3 hours in duration. These runs may include brief breaks for walking, stretching, hydrating, and bathroom visits. Beginners often cover these runs at their goal marathon pace, or slightly slower.

* *RACE: Occasional racing improves your fitness, and accustoms you to the realities of race day. Choose a race which will work on your footspeed and turnover--most likely a 5K or 10K.

Week 1 - 15 mi

Mon. Tues. Weds. Thur. Fri. Sat. Sun.

3-EZ 4-EZ R/XT 4-EZ R 4-EZ R/XT

Week 2 - 16 mi

3-EZ 4-EZ R/XT 4-EZ R 5EZ R/XT

Week 3 - 18 mi

3-EZ 5-EZ R/XT 4-EZ R 6-EZ R/XT

Week 4 - 15 mi

3-EZ 3-EZ R/XT 3-EZ 3-EZ 3-EZ R/XT

Week 5 - 22 mi

3-EZ 5-EZ 3-EZ 4-EZ R 7-EZ R/XT

Week 6 - 24 mi

3-EZ 5-EZ 2-EZ 6-EZ R 8-EZ R/XT

Week 7 - 26mi

3-EZ 6-EZ R/XT 4-EZ 3-EZ R 10-LSD

Week 8 - 20 mi

R 4-EZ 4-EZ R/XT 4-EZ R 8-LSD

Week 9 - 27 mi

R/XT 4-EZ 7-EZ R 4-EZ R 12-LSD

Week 10 - 24 mi

R/XT R/XT 7-EZ 3-EZ 4-EZ R 10-LSD

Week 11 - 26 mi

R R/XT 7-EZ R/XT 3-EZ R 16-LSD

Week 12 - 11 mi (plus race)

R R/XT 3-EZ 8-EZ R R RACE*

Week 13 - 32 mi

R 5-EZ 3-EZ R/XT 4-EZ R 20-LSD

Week 14 - 28 mi

3-EZ 8-EZ R 4-EZ R 13-LSD R

Week 15 - 24 mi

3-EZ 5-EZ R 4-EZ 3-EZ 9-LSD R

Week 16 - 13 MILES (39 WITH MARATHON)

3-EZ 3-EZ R 5-EZ 2-EZ R 26.2-RACE

Hope you find this helpful.

• 1 decade ago

That's not a mini marathon that's 3.2 miles.... versus 26.2!

No one calls a 5k a mini marathon! But you will break a sweat I hope! (that was the oddest comment up there - its a race! of course you will get sweaty)

Anyways...

You should be running 6 days a week. Long runs on Sundays (5-8) miles.

3-4 miles on Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

Tuesday and Thursday you need to do a workout.

Find some hills to sprint up on one of the days and job down - do 8-10 sets and make sure there is a warm up and cool down jogs.

For the other workout try something on a track if you can get out to one.. 1x400 2x800 1x400 and 3x200. Use these to work on keeping a steady fast pace. Use the 200s expressly for speed work. Go as fast as you can, a fun way to finish up a work out. Same thing with cool down and warm up that day too.

Do your strength training on non workout days and I doubt after a long run you'd want to do that - so most like strength training on Mondays and Fridays or Wednesday. Take Saturday off to recover.

Make sure to stretch and hydrate yourself.

Remember that a 5k is not too long a distance which is why the speed training will come in handy - for your kick! Which will be awesome!

Best of luck training!

P.S The night before don't worry about having a carb fest but its not a bad idea either. Stay away from dairy and heavy foods. You'll hopefully be so nervous before your race to hold too much down before it - the adrenaline will be a good thing if you keep it under control. Orange slices are good for energy. Make sure you eat something for break - dry toast - something light. Just to keep your water down, etc and calm the nerves.

• 1 decade ago

If you just want to see what you can do, what you're doing now is ok. If you're really going to get as competetive a time as possible, you can do more.

Running every day (you can take one day off per week) is crucial if you want to reach your maximum potential. Your distance is good, you may want to set a weekly milage and do different distances each day based off of how tired you are. If you were to do that distance (3.6 mile) daily that would be VERY good.

Quality training is important in addition to distance runs. There are three main types. The first one, you run a mile or more and have about a minute rest between each rep. The first mile should feel pretty easy, but shouldn't be as easy as your other runs. Try to keep that pace for the mile for 3 or 4 reps. You can also do this type of workout for 2-3 miles, even up to 60 minutes (but that's really high end athletes).

The second type is probably the most difficult. You run a rep under a mile (1000m-1200m is good) pretty quickly, the key on the first rep is to be winded, but not dieing. Take about a 1:1 ratio of effort to rest and do a few of those. Again, try to keep pace throughout the workout.

The last type is probably the most fun. Do short reps (200-600 meters) at mile pace. Give yourself plenty of rest between each one, the key with these is that you're rested throughout the entire workout, but still going hard through the reps. These can be done up hills for strength, but that makes them less fun ;)

Someone said that the 5k is a sprint. This is true for VERY good athletes. It should probably feel like a very fast jog when you run it.

• 1 decade ago

Mini marathon is 5K? I wouldn't call it that, but if you are running one, good luck.

I'd say try a 3-5 miles run 4-5 times per week. Increase your runs and/or frequency as you become more comfortable.

For best results, being in training for at least six weeks, if not more before the race. And, if the race is on the road, do most of your training on the road to be sure your legs and body will be used to the terrain.

Mike

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

With 9 days left in your training, theres not a whole lot more to do to improve your time and fitness. Since you have been only doing 19 miles a week with some strength training, you may find it hard to finish in the long strech with a pack of runners. It would be helpful for you to be running 5 to 6 days a week. During that time you should have 2 days of medium runs about 5 to 6 miles ( for speed and endurance) . One day about 9 to 12 miles ( for endurance). 1 or 2 days of interval work for speed. Intervals are normaly 1/4 miles or 400m at the pace you would like to finish the race. A good pace to start with would be 90 secs each time and go from there. A 5k (3.1 miles) race at 90 sec training should help you to a 18:30 finish time. Your interval work for a 5k would be 16 - 400's or 8 - 800's or 4 - 1 miles. Its best to start with the 400's first. Your last day in a week should be a cool down, around 3-4 miles to help keep your legs moving. With your strength training be looking at your stomach and back muscles. Push-ups are great to to help with your upper body. With strength on your legs, you should be looking at higher reps with lighter weights. Last but not to forget is to walk your mind through the race every time you can and think of how you want to finish. It will help you go a long way when you are mentaly ready. Good luck with your race.

• 1 decade ago

A mini marathon is not 5K. It is 13 miles. Anway, if you are training for a 5K race which is approx 3.6mi., then your current schedule should be sufficient. If you are training for a longer race up your mileage to 8-10mi. 3 days each week. Approx. one month prior to the race run the full distance (or even a little more 12 - 15 mi.). Then downsize your runs to 3-5 mi. 4 times weekly until 1 week prior to the race. Control your diet well in the week prior to the race but do not run much in that week, just tune ups and only once or twice maximum.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Running the 6.3 miles three times a week along with strength training in between is a great workout to get ready for a 5k. You maybe could do some light joggimg also but you don't need to. Just keep up what your doing and you will be in the perfect form for the race.

• 1 decade ago

You have a lot of great answers already. 5K is 3.1 miles so we know you can run that far. Interval training, hill climbs, and some other strength training will make you faster. Just do stretching the day before the race, and have a really good time. Watch your pace the day of the race, you are likely to be excited and most epopel start way too fast.

• 1 decade ago

A 5k isn't a mini marathon but when I trained for mine. I started out by running a mile, then gradually kicked it up to 3 miles within 3 weeks. Then trained at running 3 miles for 2 weeks. This gave me a great time and I was pleased. Hopefully you will be also. But it sounds like you are far past my abilities if you are running a 10k just in practices. Good Luck

• 1 decade ago

Choose a minute/mile goal that you would like to run the 5K.

Perform a combination of interval/speed training and distance training. The interval training will improve your time, while the distance increase your endurance.

Week 1: 2 days of interval training. Run a mile a the pace you would like to run the race. Then walk for that same amount of time (i.e. Rune 1 mile at 7:00 minute pace, then walk for 7 minutes). Then run a half mile at the race pace, which would be 3 1/2 minutes, then walk for 3 1/2 minutes. Continue these intervals down to a 1/4 mile run/walk.

2 Days of endurance training: run 4 miles (more than 5 k) at the 5K pace.

By then end of 3 weeks you will be at your desired goal.

Source(s): Myself, training based on my education in exercise physiology
  • 1 decade ago

Well your training shows that you are serious about your race but the best practices would be to get the race map and or a layout of the race, and then start running a similar track, because the biggest mistake that is made is not knowing that kind of track you will running, knowing this will help you make the necessary adjustments to training, i.e if you have hills or uneven road to run, then you might try running with weights for that distance, and with out for the flat stretches. this will help more then just running. plus once you run the hole track you will be able to see were you can save some energy and where you need the more energy

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.