promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

How long exactly is a "Cotton picking minute"?

is it 60 seconds, like a standard minute?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

For the benefit of the above posters, a cotton-picking minute (CPM) is most definitely not equivalent to a NY minute (NYM). Anyone who lives in the State knows that a NY minute comprises less than 60 seconds. The actual equation for a NY minute is:

NYM = 60sec/((b+1)*2)

Where "b" is equivalent to the # of times you beep your horn per mile. Thus a NYM varies with relative environmental influences (time of day, traffic, weather, etc).

A cotton-picking minute, on the otherhand, actually comprises a period of time longer than 60 seconds. The equation to calculate a CPM is:

CPM= 60sec + (H/2)

Where H is the relative % humidity. Humidity rather than temperature had a great impact on the rate of cotton picked by those harvesting the crop by hand, as you can well imagine. Thus it plays an integral role in determination of how long a CPM is. Like a NYM, a CPM is ultimately influenced by environmental factors, and therefore it's value can vary.

Hope this helps clarify things.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

First of all, a "New York minute" is 30 seconds because the City moves twice as fast as anywhere else. A "Cotton picking minute" is 1,920 years long, when the first Cotton picking machine was invented to pick cotton in 60 seconds.

• 1 decade ago

I think that Buggs Bunny is the only one to ask that question. But I believe that it probably has origins in agriculture where poor (don't forget slavery and racism issue) people were the only ones that picked the cotton. So the line "cotton picking" is like an insult. Kinda like saying get your crappy hands of me or wait a F****n minute! Well i hope this gives you some insight. I hope :)

• 1 decade ago

60 seconds, but you have to pick cotton during the minute

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It means the time taken to pick cotton in one minute. No matter how minutes are described, they are all the same time frame. 69 seconds

• 1 decade ago

No, It's just a bit Less, Roughly the Equivalent of "A New York Minute," which has Yet to be Precisely Determined.

Source(s): Yahoo Q & A = The "Source" of The Force!
  • 1 decade ago

About as long as a New York Minute.

• 1 decade ago

If you have ever picked cotton, then you would know that it is ALL DAY!

• 1 decade ago

No it's quicker, usually faster than a tick jumping up when he falls on a hot griddle.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

it is 60 seconds, it's just a phrase that people use - don't ask me why.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.