if scientists believe that man came from monkeys...why are there still monkeys around now a days?

Think about that!

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

This is actually a very common misunderstanding about the theory of evolution. The theory is not that humans came from monkeys, but that humans evolved from an earlier species which Monkeys also evolved from. Monkeys are not our ancesors, but our cousins--both humans and monkeys (and apes) evolved from a species that was neither human or monkey (or ape). Some important points:

1. Modern monkeys share some distant ancestors with humans, and those ancestors did look something like monkeys, but they were not the same as modern monkeys. Man and monkeys both came from a monkey-like species millions of years ago. Humans did not evolve from modern monkeys.

2. Humans are actually more closely related to apes than to monkeys. But humans did not evolve "from apes" either. Apes have a common ancestor with humans much more recent than either apes or humans have with monkeys.

3. Additionally, if a species evolves out of another species, the theory of evolution does not require that the original "parent" species must then disappear. Evolution is a process the develops *species* based on events that happen to *individuals*. If some monkey-like ancestor of humans left the forest to live on the savannah, and they had brothers and cousins who stayed in the forest, it was quite possible that those who stayed back remained something like they were for many generations while those who migrated to the savannah changed due to their new environment. In actual fact this did not occur, because the forest environment itself was changing (the forests were dying off due to climate changes, giving way to the savannah, which was why some of the prehuman primates were forced to survive in their new savannah environment). However, there are many instances where part of a species evolves into another species while another part of that species remains unchanged, and is therefore still the same species.

Source(s): I read a lot. Read Richard Dawkins' books, such as "The Blind watchmaker". He explains all this very well.
    • James5 years agoReport

Matt, you don't really understand. First of all, we are not all descended from the same two people. We are descended from a population that split off of a larger one, evolving into humans. Also, two organisms in the same species don't have to have the same genes, and can still reproduce.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

if scientists believe that man came from monkeys...why are there still monkeys around now a days?

Think about that!

Source(s): scientists man monkeys monkeys days: https://biturl.im/TIkfM
  • 3 years ago

Evolution Of Monkeys

• 5 years ago

Science of evolution does not say and has never said that humans " came from Monkeys". It says that humans evolved over time and share a common ancestor with the great apes. Who should be given more

weight when speaking of science,an actual scientist who is educated and can articulate the known facts or an

uneducated goober who 1. doesn t know the difference between a monkey and an ape and has no clue what

the science of evolution actually says and basis their claim on a ancient bronze age myth of creation?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

The most common answer to such a question is to say that humans didn t evolve from apes nor monkeys, but rather share a common ancestor with them and non of our ancestors were not apes nor monkeys. While it may be true that humans didn t evolve from any species of ape or monkey that is alive today, but we did evolve from a common ancestor with apes and our ancestor was an ape also. The word ape doesn t refer to just Gorilla s, Chimps and Orangutans. It is a category that includes humans also and all their extinct relatives.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ape

The admission that we are apes in the same sense that ducks are birds is recent. And people still want to deny that.

Monkeys is also interesting. I will link a video that explains this in more detail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A-dMqEbSk8

Youtube thumbnail

The short answer is: We actually did evolve from monkeys and are still monkeys right now.

Simian is latin for monkey:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simian

• 1 decade ago

That's easy, our closest cousins the apes and chimpanzes came from the same hominid species, of which there were around 20. The time of the split between humans and living apes used to be thought to have occurred 15 to 20 million years ago, or even up to 30 or 40 million years ago. Some apes occurring within that time period, such as Ramapithecus, used to be considered as hominids, and possible ancestors of humans.

To say that modern monkeys or apes and modern man existing in the same time period prove that modern humans are not of the same species, show's your ignorance of the evolutionary theories. And yes, they are theories and there are holes, but at least science is open to new ideas and willing to fill the holes to make history complete....but, alas, i waste my breath on you.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Because we didn't come from monkeys. Those scientists believe that man came from monkeys. And here is proof that we didn't. There are 124 amino acids that make up a protein that performs very important functions. If one of those is out of place, the protein would not work. To make it easier on scientists, lets just say that the 17 types needed to make this protein happen to be next to each other. There is a 1 in 17 chance that the first acid will be right. Now there is a 1 in 289 (17 x 17) chance that the first two will be the right acids. Do that 122 more times, and there is a 1 in 1 followed by 152 zeros chance that the right protein will form. Plus, think of everything else that had to form just right to work. And then there is all the "evolution" we had to do, and as you can see, it is basically impossible that we started as gupe, let alone, monkeys.

• James5 years agoReport

Evolution does not actually work by randomly changing amino acids. It works by very slightly altering organisms. I'm not quite sure how it works, in the exact physical sense, but there's genotypes and phenotypes. It slightly alters the genotypes, but the organism's body can still understand them.

• 4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avLn8

I'm glad someone's finally asked this question. I don't believe in evolution either (I believe in 1 God, all His Prophets (peace be upon them all), the Torah, Bible and Qur'an, Angels, Demons/Jinn and some more - I don't believe that Jesus [pbuh] was the son of God nor do I believe that He is God, I believe He's a Prophet/Messenger). I believe in Jesus Christ but it doesn't mean I'm going to be saved. I also believe in God - still doesn't means I'm going to be saved. It's not an issue of who you BELIEVE in, it's who you WORSHIP - the devil believes in God but he doesn't worship him...

• 5 years ago

if you believe in evolution then what is the point of all things i dont know how you thing an exploision in space can give you things like ethics and morals. Why do you even live if nothing is gonna happen to you later on. say creation isnt true then its not like you can look back at your life when your dead thousands of people smarter then most have died for what they believe so if they belive that something created us i do to

• James5 years agoReport

That's... That's not actually a reason to believe in Creation. Also, ethics and morals make a population more likely to survive. That is, if people within a group don't kill each other, that group is more likely to survive, leading to the evolution of groups, which creates culture, values, etc.

• 5 years ago

Because a group drifted away from the larger population of APES, encountering different environments and therefore evolving down a different path.

• 1 decade ago

steel love the analogy. haha

Scientists don't believe man came from monkeys. We shared an ancestor with monkeys.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.