Why does my Honda Shadow stall when I put it in gear, even with the clutch in?

I have a 98 Honda Shadow ACE and it starts fine but when I go from Neutral to first or even second gear for that matter the motorcylce kinda lunges and stalls. Keep in mind I am keeping the clutch in the whole time. I have tried adjusting the clutch calbe but that hasnt helped. Any Ideas?

I disconneted the Kickstand saftey switch like Olds3300 stated and the cycle still stalls out. I can hear a clicking noise like its not quite going into gear or something but we have the clutch cable as tight as we can get it. Stumped?!?!?!?!?

Ok, I was able to roll the bike while in gear with the clutch in. Of course it wouldn't roll with the clutch out. So it seems as if the clutch is engageing but it still stall right out when I put it in gear.

Favorite Answer

With the engine off, put the bike in gear but pull in the clutch. You should be able to roll the bike back and forth, otherwise your clutch isn't disengaging the plates. Could be several things: your clutch cable is broken or maybe as others have stated your friction disks are frozen to the metal clutch plates (motorcycles have several, at least the one I've seen did). Check the cable first since you'll have to drain the oil to open up the clutch housing.

Finally, I've heard using the wrong kind of oil won't gum up the bike -- at least modern formulations won't. My bike runs just fine on the stuff, Hondas are like that I guess. Some automotive motor oil has a friction reduction additive called "molybdenum" which could coat the friction plates of the clutch and so the clutch will slip, but sticking is something else entirely.

*edit* Forgot to mention, you'll need a new gasket if you crack open the clutch housing -- another reason to try to rule out the cable first.

Honda Shadow Clutch

It`s probably due to a sticking clutch.This is usually caused by running automotive oil, which doesn`t have the friction addatives in it that motorcycle oil does.try starting the bike and have a buddy push you to get going and then drop it in gear and ride it while holding the clutch in.I`ve had to do this before on a bike with the same symptoms.Also you must have some freeplay in the clutch cable or you will burn your clutch up.Other causes could be a stretched cable that isn`t dissengaging the clutch enough, or a gummed up clutch from using automotive oil, like a said.You may have to physically remove clutchy plates and clean them(the fibers) and scuff up the metals to deglaze them.Hope this helps

Source(s): 15 years experience in dealership

it may be that the grasp discs are extremely rusted jointly from sitting. This befell to me with an old Honda that were sitting around for 3 years. regularly there is oil everywhere in the grasp (moist grasp) yet while it is not used the oil drains down and any condensation will commence the metallic grasp bands to rusting. you could the two take the grasp assembly aside or purely exercising it till it frees up (commencing the motorbike, enticing a equipment and having it stall isn't the simplest on your grasp/transmission). for constructive I took the grasp assembly aside on my Honda. not too a selection of of a job in case you have a handbook and a feeling of ways mechanical issues come aside.

Yea its the clutch not disengaging enough. Before you get to drastic tho, Check the gap in the clutch lever. Shouldnt be more than 1/4 inch gap in free play. If there is just adjust the cable.

unplug the kick stand safety switch

Source(s): same problem once