WHY did Vietnam soldiers wear TWO dog tags?

In Vietnam, a soldier would wear one tag around their neck and one dog tag around their boot. Why did they wear two?

Favorite Answer

Tags are used in case of death or seious injury. The military still uses them. If a soldier were to die and the body had to be left on the field, one tag would be removed, while the other was kicked in between the teeth of the dead soldier for later recovery. You 'll notice the difference between Soldier/Marine dog tags and Sailor dog tags. The print for a seaman is more fine due to the lower chance of biting the dust

Soldiers wear two dog tags around their neck so that if they are killed, their unit can collect one for accountability purposes, and leave the second so the body can be identified when it is collected. Some soldiers also wear dogtags in their boot so that if they are blown in half, or if the tags around their neck are damaged or destroyed somehow, their body, or their lower half, can be identified and transported with the rest of them.

Hi, I understand that you are looking for some advice or resources to help fully train your dog or fix behavior problems. If a professional dog trainer is not an option at this time, or if you want to trt training your dog on your own (a great way to bond), I'd suggest you https://biturl.im/aU6vv

A friend recommened it to me a few years ago, and I was amazed how quickly it worked, which is why I recommend it to others. The dog training academy also has as an excellent home training course.

Actually many soldiers (I am one) in combat arms units (Infantry etc) wear a set of two identification tags around their neck and keep another set attached to their boots.

All military wears TWO tags. I was in the army and they made us wear two. Ive never been to war, but Im guessing to identify the body incase something happened that it got seperated from the other parts of the body, such as land mines. Hate to be so visual, but it's the truth.

Source(s): Me, myself and I

Some wore two around their necks. The reason is if one were killed in action someone would take one to turn in so the family could be notified and the second one stayed with the body so it could be shipped back home to be buried. That way there were no mix ups.

the one on your boot was to identify your body if your head was removed or wounded past the point of recognition. Nowadays the military relys on DNA identification.

in case their body was blown to pieces or in half one dog tag for their head one for their toe

if something happend they could leave one ID as a marker to assist others in tracking you or give to someone to pass to a loved one, like a death certificate effectively. there are other reasons but these are a few suggestions i was taught. hope it helps!

Source(s): my college lecturer

one all ways stayed with body other for file .first thing they took from POW's then we feared our body could not be claimed.